Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Old 11-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Unfortunately, the military base where I work just had a similar experience. [:' (] The provost marshalls office made to decision to shoot both deer because they could not get them unlocked.

I think this was a poor decision and that an attempt to shoot off the antlers should have been made first. I have no doubt that one of the PMO officers took the antlers of these bucks.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:05 PM

First, concider what they were fighting over...A Hot Chic. Would you want to get shot fighting over some babe. Nah, not worth it. My wife maybe.

Secondly, if the deer would not have been found then he would have probably died anyway. However, if you see someone on the side of the road walking because their vehicle broke down and you say to yourself let them walk because if you hadn' t happened by they would still have to walk. This is just an anallagy, but the same idea applies.

Finally, what is the difference between shooting these two deer that are locked up and shooting a deer that is in a trap set by some one. None.

I agree, if the deer looks as if it is on its last leg, then by all means, be ethical and take him out. I think that in the final end it is simply a judgement call by the person who is actually there. I have never taken a 130" buck before but I wouldn' t want my story to be that one.

Good Hunting
Old 11-21-2003, 03:48 PM

Hardluck, who traps deer and then shoots them? I must be missing something.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill tell ya what. if i am sitting in my atand tommoro and that sun rises to the point i can see and i see a buck dragging another' s remains one locked onto it, im gonna shoot. then i am going to get piture taken of my locked deer and post them on here. then i am going to get a unique full body mount of them locked together, both alive. and i will have NO regrets whatsoever and will take any abuse anyone feels like that have to give me. i have never shot a buck with the bow and i would be ecstatic to shoot two locked together. now if they were in my backyard or in the nature preserve, thats a different story. so i would shoot and not even have to think twice about it.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:25 PM

Actually I think that it is illegal. Because if you look at the laws it says that they half to be fair game. It says no shooting deer in deep snow or while they are swimming because they are helpless. I think that if a deer is locked up with another deer...that is pretty helpless...so i would guess it is illegal.
Just what i think.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:16 PM

legal deer during hunting season = dead.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:37 PM

There is no sense in trying to be " ethical" about this. Sure it may not count but there is no reason why that buck should lay there and starve and get eat by yotes. Go get a gun and shoot him in the head to put him out of his missery. Who the **** cares about it just because " he won, he beat the bigger buck" whooptie ****, just for winning he now gets to starve, and lay there and die without a chance. What are you talking about give him a chance, kill' em. DUH
Old 11-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont shoot him in the head. youll ruin the mount
Old 11-22-2003, 09:00 AM

I guess the guys that say they would not kill the animal, would not shoot a buck( not one locked to another buck ) if they stumbled on him while walking to their stands, if he just stood up and stared at them. That would not be fair chase if the buck just stood there in fear. Better to wait till he starts to run away, but that would not be an ethical shot either. Better to just let him go and hope that he follows you to your stand and turns broadside.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:45 PM

Now this is an ethical nightmare. Guess it would depend on how deep the freezer is looking. I hope that I would take the high road and try to seperate em but without a shotgun handy bag the one left (probably goin to die anyway) and start composing the story for the hunting camp. Gary

Quick Reply: TWO BUCKS LOCKED UP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.