Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have I burnt out my stand?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Have I burnt out my stand?

I would like to get opinions from all of you. I hunt a pretty large Wildlife Management Area (public area) and have only found a couple of places that have decent deer sign. The sign that I have found is limited to tracks and the occassional poop. Only one of these places looks really promising and I have hunted it every week since the start of gun season (3 times from 2 different directions). However, I only get to hunt one day a week and that usually isn' t even all day. I try to be very concious of my scent and hunt from a climber 20-30 feet up. I have yet to see any deer. Could I have burnt this stand out before it ever produces? Will hunting it this infrequently cause it to burn out or get patterned? Thanks all in advance.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have I burnt out my stand?

i hunt on public land, (the main one is 31, 000 acres), it seems to me you' re just not looking hard enough...you' ll find the rubs and scrapes if you look hard enough....i hunt for human sign , then i hunt for the deer sign.....good luck....i really dont think going up to an area once a week is going to stink it up that bad.....
Old 11-20-2003, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

When you consider how many others use the property it' s unlikely that your light usage is causing a problem . The level of human scent would already be very high in a public area , and the deer would be used to it . Huntnma' s advice is right on the money , and I know it' s late for this , but get off the beaten path and scout . Pattern the other hunters , then find where the deer will try to evade them . Go in deep and early , wait for the other hunters to push them to you . This is the best strategy that I' ve found for hunting heavily pressured publics .
Old 11-20-2003, 06:41 AM

could be that the deer are nocturnal in that particular area. i have hunted over by my uncle, and by the sign in the area you would swear that it was the best hunting woods ever. there are huge rubs, text book looking scrapes, droppings everywhere etc. my dad and i hunted that area hard and rarely saw a deer, and we are very careful with scent adn getting in and out quiet, etc.
especially with it being a public woods by you and there being a lot of hunting pressure, they may lay low till after dark...
Old 11-20-2003, 11:18 AM

As the others have stated, get off the beaten path. Start with the trails leading away from where you' re finding the sign. See where they lead you.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:54 PM

I wouldnt say that you' ve burnt out your stand, being that its only occupied a couple times aweek. search around for more promiant signs of where a buck might be hanging out, but be patient --good luck-
Old 11-20-2003, 02:06 PM

scouting sux on public land. thye are in there, just keep looking.