Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Old 11-18-2003, 01:34 PM

Default RE: Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Just startin to play with Doe scent. . .tried some Blue something last weekend . Put out three scent patches on a few branches around the feeder and along some well traveled trails. A few drops in a few scrapes too but the Bucks I saw paid no attention. They were much more interested in chasing live Does and running off the smaller bucks.
Right now I am concentrating on my scent control. Rubber boots, changing into camos just before I go to the stand , scent free body and cloths soap etc. I spray down my boots when i exit my truck and hope for the best. I know for sure that over the past 3 years I have been winded at least 3 or 4 times. I don' t have so many choices for blinds on my place that I can pick the best one based on wind direction.

Good luck. . .

Post a note if you have any success with Doe pee etc. There are so many products now and I am sure they all have had value for at least one person one time but how much crap, pee in this case, do we really need.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Spike

Geoegetownboys, I hunt on 600 acres in Burnet County and the deer hunting has been real slow, not much movement, the feeders are throwing enough corn to choke a hog, the deer are' nt really hitting the feeders yet, going out 24 Nov. With the cold front coming in today (Sun.) hopefully that BIG BOY will come buy, keep us posted on how it' s going and I' ll do the same.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:53 AM

Well hell, went out Friday afternoon and sweated in the blind, was 82 out there. 2 does came runnin to the feeder 15 minutes before it went off and barely jumped when it when it did, they stayed an hour. I throw a bit of extra corn when I visit. Then 15 minutes to go a young buck showed, 4 pt, came in real slow and did the round about approach. He stayed until it was past clean shot time. This spot is usually much more productive. I went ahead and headed home to spend time with mom and kids. Heck with Saturday.

With this cold front that blew in Saturday night I am gonna try to get out for a Tuesday morning or a Monday afternoon, if the boss man and moma can stand it. They have both had about enough of me and bambie this season already. I don' t get it, I have only sat in the blind 10 or 11 times so far this season.

Still have 1 buck tag left and 3 does to go. Gotta pace myself. Took a nice 8 pt. 11/6 and each of my boys took there first bucks this fall also, 8 pts each. So now we are waitin for the big bogs. The does will get takin the last week or 2 of the season.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Spike

Georgetownboys, went out monday morning and afternoon. We finally saw 4 does in the a.m. and 3 does and 2 bucks in the p.m. it seems like that cold front finally got them moving. hope it keeps up. you said that you save your doe' s till the end of the season. we do just the opposite, we shoot our doe' s early in the season because last year a doe was shot the 3rd week of december and when we gutted her, she had 2 unborn fawns in her, Where do you hunt (county?).
Old 11-25-2003, 07:31 PM

TopBuck. . .I hunt 300 just down the road from Brady, McColluch co. Yep went out last night and was in the blind at 5:40 this moring, 35Deg. light breeze pitch black. Well at first posible light that same 4 point shows up and feasts for about 20 minutes, then a small does runs in and stays a bit. The Buck gives me lots and lots of opportunoty for a shot but I am not wasting my second buck tag on this guy. He leaves for a bit and I can see him way off chasing a more mature doe for a while. The doe finaly starts heading back for cover and I can tell she caught my scent, a few foot stamps and a more hurried exit, damn. About 30 minutes later that young buck has now gone completely around my back and is heading back for the feeder, just when he gets to the same 30 yard down wind spot as the doe he also now winds me and gives me the whole show. foot stomping snort tail in the air, he' s gone. I shower with the special soap, use special cloths soap and use no scent deoderant etc. spray my boots, etc. Oh WELL.
Now about 0815 I figure I done, start packin up exit the blind and tuern to find 2 more does coming in. Wtahc them for a few and leave. Not much movment really. I took a walk being the only person on the 300 and found lots of Deer bedded down.

Good point on the doe, I' ll take a few this weekend. Both my boys have each takin an 8 pt. now they like me are gonna have to wait for the big buck or start with their doe tags.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:27 PM

I just got back from my lease about an hour ago. That cold front sure did wonders for me, I was in the blind for the most part of the day, and saw deer just about the whole time.

The eveing came and I saw a good 8 point that I almost considered shooting but I kinda wanted to hold out for the 18 point or a 10 point that I' ve been hearing about. So I have 2 8 points infront of me, and about 6 does, I' m pumped.....until a truck pulls up on the property beside me. Two knucleheads drive in the middle of a field and get out of there truck and start stalk hunting. I cannot count how many deer they scared up. So I put all this time in at the blind with it looking like its about to payoff big then I didn' t see one deer for the rest of the night. I woke up today to wind howling outside, its blowing around I would say 30 mph from the south, which is the complete wrong direction for our blind set up. We are on a hill and the wind is usually prevailing from the north most of the year. I got winded by deer twice today, and there was no movement besdies morning and eveing. I did see a small 8 point that was in rut and a possilbe 5 point that looked like he was on the trail for does.

So I guess this trip leaves me a few questions. I will be back up there saturday and since the bucks are rutting what is the best strategy for rut hunting? I' m hunting over a corn feeder and for every buck I see, there are probley around 8 does. And for ever doe I see 3 out of 4 tends to be younger does. Is a food source like a feeder a good spot for rut hunting? I didn' t know if maybe I should stick to a more open field or trails. I' m gonna try some doe estrus scents also and I plan to hunt from sun up to sun down. I' m just trying to figure out the best strategy to hunt a very smart mature buck in an area that has hunters all over the area. I know the rut is the only chance I will really get to see this 18 point, and I want to make the most of it.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 AM

I hunt Walker Co. I haven' t seen anything yet this season. I have some pretty good spots just not good enough I guess. Last week I went out ( I think it was Tues. or Wed.) and sat on stand for a few hours. I only had a few hours due to family obligations. Keep in mind I hunt public land. I had to park a good 1/4 mile up the road from where I go in because of the rain and wet roads.

Well, to make a long story short, I sat from about 1 til about 4 and didn' t see anything. On the way back to the truck I see some nice buck tracks crossing the road about 100 yards from the truck. The wind was blowing 20-25 mph.

I am going out again Thursday morning since I really don' t celebrate Turkey day. I can only hunt til about 1pm. The wind is supposed to be about the same as when I was out last week. I was thinking of stalking/still hunting some potential bedding areas. What do you guys think? Should I sit in my stand or stalk the beds? Regardless I' m going out there. I definately won' t see any deer sitting at the house.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:28 AM

Imister85. . . . sorry that big dog still walks, you hope. Nice to hear about the clowns next door. Like my lease by scaren them up at least you know there out there.

I think I am gonna take my 6 year old out for a trip tonight, fill a doe tag or see a big buck.

Dad who just moved to town wants to play golf, OH BOY. He needs to figure out we golf in the spring after the season is over.

Let me know how the estris works. Maybe it will at least get them to do a drive by for ya.

You asked about hunting the RUT. What I have seen so far is when those boys get the bug a feeder is low on the list of interests. I even found that the does have trouble going where they want to be becuase the bucks keep at them. I would pick a location where you have a few long shooting lanes or the edge of a large open area where the deer frequent and watch for them to be runnin in circles.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Spike

Georgetownboys, what kind of stand do you use? is it a ladder or box blind? We have 12 stands on our lease. I have 5 stands that my son-in-law, son, and myself maintain along with 55 gal. timer feeders. I refuse to hunt in miserable conditions, plexiglass pop out windows, wall to wall carpet, high back rotary chairs, heater, urinal in corner, all the comforts of home. This stand is called the TAJMAHALL. I' ve been on this lease for 5 years but this may be my last because the lease coordinator shoots anything that moves and refuses to help feed and maintain stands but still wants to hunt everyone elses stands, I' ve had to put locks on my stands because of this. we have shot real good deer and turkey but I want a lease where all involved get along and help each other. Probably if we got rid of the lease coordinator it would be great especially it' s only 40 minutes from copperas cove where I live. (I' M LOOKING) Give a shout if your son gets a good deer. The boys are going out tonite, I' ll give update when they get in as to what was seen or shot. I really believe that the rut has' nt peaked yet. the processor where we take our deer at in burnet is short 80-100 deer in so far compared to last year. WE NEED COLD WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:29 AM

Yep we got a nice one. I did a post today with a picture.

I have a 12foot tower box, with real windows that is in a great spot. Then we have 6 other ground box blinds. 4 of them each belong to one of the guys that come out. The tower is considered the kids blind, it is only 60 yards from a feeder and an easy walk from where we park the truck. Being the newby I have been using the tower with my boys and one of the open, if you will ground blinds. I am hoping to lay full claim to a ground blind or add another after this season is over. Our blinds are not a fancy as what you have mentioned. 2 folding chairs in each and a plastic jug. Durin these past 3 years since this property was acquired by my friend this property has changed. They used to shoot any and everything that walked. You should see some of the timy racks on the cabin fence. Since we, or he the new owner has takin over, nothing under 8 pt. and nothing that does not get out past the ears. We also run feeders now year around and are providing mineral blocks, protein and other goodies year around. It seems to be working. We are seeing lots of nice young bucks that will soon yeild some nice racks. Next year should be sweet. Not sure we will add anyone else. [:' (]

Quick Reply: Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.