Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is this deer?

Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 AM

Default RE: What is this deer?

funky looking what ever it is.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:15 AM

It may be a cross breed.
It does happen.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:36 AM

Believe whatever you guy' s want to believe as for the size of the animal. However the deer in west texas don' t get as big as most of you guy' s are used to seeing. I' m sure since this was an exotic fallow that it could have gotten a lot bigger but hey to me it' s meat in the freezer.

I agree with txhunter58 if there were more axis on my place I would be throwing rocks at the whitetail to harvest an axis. Axis have world class meat rated number one in my book over anything else. I was told that the fallow taste similar. However the Axis are from Asia and the Fallow are from European' s. I' ve done my re-search on the exotice just because we have them on the property.

The deer I shot is deffinitely a Chocolate Fallow.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I ' m with BOWFANATIC. If that thig goes 140# you must be a giant. I would say more like 40#
Old 11-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give it a rest guys. Who cares what it weighs. Are you the weight police? On the other hand, there are some guys who probably know what they are talking about just from a picture, so unless you weighed it Bobo, let it drop.

Obviously, it wasn' t a trophy and was shot simply for the meat, and I guarantee you that everyone on this board has eaten very young animals. The beef you eat is probably not much over a year if even that, pigs are usually slaughtered at maybe 6-8 months, and the " fryer" chickens your wife cooks are 8-12 weeks old.

It was a fallow deer. He will eat good. Nuff said.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:18 PM

I' m Not trying to ride your butt here, I' ve tried to look at this from your side. and I have no Idea what the laws are in Texas, and I have no idea what the thing is. However I just keep askin myself how can you shoot any game animal without positive identification. I' m not looking to take the high ground here I have my faults as well but If I' m not 100% sure of what I' m shootin at I don' t shoot.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point nyflyer. I certainly wouldn' t shoot anything without knowing what it is. However, you have to realize that exotic deer/sheep/antelope are very common in the area he hunts. The ONLY deer type animal that requires a license to kill in the area is a whitetail. This is not a whitetail or a whitetail cross, it is a fallow deer. Even though he didn' t know for sure what exotic it was, he knew when he shot it (with 3 individuals out in front of him) that it was not a whitetail, therefore it was legal to shoot without a license or tag. I am sure it seems very foreign to someone who hasn' t had the opportunity to live and hunt here, but it is the norm for here. Exotics are considered livestock. If he could have done it, he could have loaded this deer up in a trailer and sold it at an exotic auction.

You also refer to it as a " game" animal. To the state of Texas, it is not a game animal, it is an exotic. You can also hunt/kill exotics year round. There is no season. Wierd huh!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:37 PM

Thank you txhunter58 " I see said the blind man who really couldn' t see"
Old 11-12-2003, 08:03 AM

If you guy' s re-read the first post I was almost sure it was a fallow. What took me for a loop was that when i took the meat to our meat locker in town the owner said it was a sika. I started second guessing myself after that. However after research I knew it was a fallow. In Texas exotics are not native game and can be shot without even harvesting it for meat. So at least it' s at the processing facility. As for the meat fallow are said to be excellent tasting game.

I won' t waist my time on the weight subject.

Thanks to all those who have helped in some way.

Jason
Old 11-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Oh never mind

Quick Reply: What is this deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.