Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is this deer?

Old 11-10-2003, 12:00 PM

Default RE: What is this deer?

After investigating some more, Sika' s have short tails. The tail of my deer is long and after looking over some pictures I have determined this to be a chocolate fallow. Only the fallow have a long tail as shown in the picture.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 12:22 PM

Not to poke fun or criticise, but if you don' t know what it is.....What tag did you put on it? I have never seen anything like that before.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:25 PM

In texas we only tag whitetails. Exotics do not have to be tagged just have to have a liscense to shoot it. I was right though, that I shot a fallow. See most of the exotics in texas have world class meat. For instance Axis, and Fallow both have a better tasting meat than a whitetail.

I would rather shoot the exotics for the meat and the whitetails for the trophy. But get the same satisfaction out of both. All of the animals are free range and all taste great.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 12:29 PM

That' s cool. I don' t know any of hunting laws down there. I wouldn' t know what the hell to do if I saw something like that walking around up here. LOL I prefer mouse or elk over deer, but I don' t too much of that meat unless my buddies shoot one. I' ll have to stick to venison unless I win the lottery someday.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:38 PM

It sure was an eye opener for me. I was sitting on a cliff while it was raining when they came out about 30 yards from me three of them. One a large doe, this little buck and a yearling. I let them graze for about 30 minutes thinking they were whitetail just wet. Well one of them turned from me and the butt end had no white. I thought to myself these are no whitetail they are an exotic so I took the buck. After I harvested the deer. I thought to myself I should have taken the doe but I was sure that another buck was around. I think the little buck I shot was an off-spring of the doe but about 2 years. The doe looked to be about 4 years old. And the little yearling sheesh.

During bow season I think one came out behind a cedar smelled me and screamed at me. About made me fall out my tri-pod. It litterally screamed scared me half to death. Anyhow I know they exist and will be looking for more.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 12:41 PM

bobo,is this a canned hunting area,I believe thats where exotics come from.By canned I mean pay for what you shoot,usually animals that came from another continent,not my cup of tea,but to each his own.

Joe
Old 11-10-2003, 12:47 PM

No the land is open range and I do not pay to hunt on my own property. When I say own it is actually a friends place. The friend does not hunt just owns the property for his own pleasure. He does scout around and take pictures. I found out that exotics breed like rabits. My property backs up to a game managed ranch like you talk about and is where the exotics come from.

Six years ago when I first started hunting on this place there was nothing but hogs and whitetail. Now six years later we have 3 or 4 heards of Axis with about 20 deer in each heard. I have seen a few Aoudad and now the fallow deer. It just adds to the excitement on what I will see next.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like an elk to me...[]
Old 11-10-2003, 01:16 PM

I did research on elk they don' t have a tail more or less a little nub. The sika have the same little nub and so to red stag. I think all three are in the same family.

Jason
Old 11-10-2003, 05:07 PM

Is it possible it is some type of cross-breed?

Quick Reply: What is this deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.