Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do deer eat???

Old 10-29-2003, 05:47 AM

Default What do deer eat???

I know they eat the following:

Corn, Grass, Apples, Clover, Green Leaves, Acorns, tips of beech, peanut butter and Popcorn.

Obviously, they don' t serve popcorn in corn fields and peanut butter doesn' t grow on trees either. Where I live, the deer spend a lot of time under apple trees since we have very few oaks, no acorns. The trees are mostly beech, ash, cherry, and maple.

Anyway, did I leave anything out??

Tomster
Old 10-29-2003, 06:02 AM

Default RE: What do deer eat???

Dogwood Trees - leaves. They will go out of their way for these when nothing else is nearby.

Greg
Old 10-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just like you, deer eat a variety of foods, usually depending on what is available in your area. Briar leaves, mushrooms, and honeysuckle in addition to dozens of browse plants make up part of their diets.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:33 AM

Honeysuckle, bird eggs, fish, they have even been seen eating squirrel. Deer will eat whatever they can, when they can. So the answer would be just about anything.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:16 AM

To add to the list: They also eat beechnuts, a variety of weedy vegetation, cedar, berries, and even bark when they get hard up. They love maple leaves after they lose their chlorophyll, which makes them more palatable to the deer.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Spike

AFTER THE SNOW FALLS THEY WILL DIG UP FERNS AND EAT ONLY THE ROOTS
Old 10-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Model722 how does a deer get a fish?? or a squirrel? not saying they don' t or wanting to start a fight just curious
Old 10-29-2003, 10:32 AM

The bucks use their antlers and spear the fish. The hard part is getting the fish off the antler, for that they use another deer to pull the fish off.

just kidding
Old 10-29-2003, 10:47 AM

they also eat young children, hot wings and cheese steak strombolies.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Up here they eat grasses, cereal crops, gardens (especially carrot & beat tops), alfalfa, leaves, branches, pine needles, acorns and I have even witnessed them eating pine bark on occasion in the forest.

Never heard of them eating meat though, have always thought they were just veggie eaters[].

Quick Reply: What do deer eat???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.