Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do deer eat???

Old 10-29-2003, 03:00 PM

Default RE: What do deer eat???

Tomster LMAO

Syd1981, and who ever else is interested, I was watching a good show on discovery(1 or 2 years ago) about white tails in the north. They will eat anything that they can get a hold of. No they don' t go fishing, but if they find a dead fish,(or even a fresh fish that they can get{trapped, etc....} low birds nest, or yes even baby squirrels they will eat them. It is a rare site but on this show they did show it happening, I was just as surprised as you are when I heard, saw it. The show was not about hunting it was just about there life and all the hardships the winter deer struggle threw. They were just showing how these deer would take chance of any situation. I learned more from that show then I ever did from any hunting show.

Skeeter 7MM good to see ya, hope the hunting is going good. I had my doubts about deer eating meat also, so I tried my own experiment. I took some dog food(mostly meat and meat by products), and tuna fish, mixed it together and threw it out behind my cabin were the deer come in at night. Well they ate that stuff like it was candy, learn something new everyday

If that show comes back on in the future I' ll try to let all of you folks know about it in advance, it was real interesting and showed alot of how deer act to different things, and situations.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

722, you too bud and right back at you in hoping your season has and is shaping up nicely[8D].

As too the eat anything it is said Wt' s and wolves will be the last animals on earth due to their adaptability. So I guess anything is possible.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: A.K.A eastwood

they also eat young children, hot wings and cheese steak strombolies.
Between you and Tomster I' m bustin a gut

I don' t know about the young children deal, but the rest of the things they probably would eat. Take a land fill or watch some of these deer on the side of the road tear into a Mc.D' s bag that as been thrown there. Maybe it' s all in the secret sauce?????????????

For you guys that bait maybe there is something that you have not tried? A big roast[][]
Old 10-29-2003, 03:58 PM

Deer also LOVE Sweet Potatoes. They can demolish a large patch in a few nights, tubers and all.

Russ
Old 10-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm i just thought of something feed deer marjuana. they would be much easier to hunt just hunt the marjuana fields. they would always be there.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deerhunter, here in Northwest Florida, until the crack and meth put them out of business, the marijuana farmers had a hard time keeping the deer out of their pot patches.