Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Oregon deer/elk hunting

Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 AM
Spike

Default Oregon deer/elk hunting

Good morning. I am a 33 year old white male from Cape Town, South Africa and have been living in the U.S for 10 years now. I currently live in Virginia but am moving to Salem, Oregon in June. I've done alot of shooting over the years and my family all hunt back home. I've never hunted properly before. I've been on 2 hunts before in Pennsylvania but didn't get anything. And I shot a squirrel once and skinned it, Grandparents ate it since I had to leave so unfortunately I didn't get to taste it.

So I would like to get into hunting once I move to Oregon and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. If possible I would like to hunt in Winter 2017 but I honestly have no clue as to even where to begin. Do I need to be an Oregon resident? Out of state license? Someone suggested getting a VA license and then once I move get an out of state?

Any and all suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Have to be a resident for 6 months or pay more for a non resident license and also be behind residents for drawn permitted events . Get your residence and I. D . guickly so you can hunt and fish reasonably priced and find an old timer like myself to take you under their wing . At least start out smaller ( deer maybe ). Study your guard ( kill shots for humane guick kills and less animal loss , practice , for God sake don't be lazy and go out wounding animals , and use the wind , and use the wind ( I know I said it twice but it's that important . Learn before you rush out there . I'd hate for you to go out and harvest an animal way too big for your experience only to be eaten alive by a bear halfway back while you resting .know the local laws and try to buddy hunt until you have more experience in less your wealthy then just pay a guide to hunt for you like so many other people who think there hunters . Not trying to be rude but a sguirell hardly prepares you , kinda like running before you walk, God bless n good luck , be safe
Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by blessed n born to hunt
Have to be a resident for 6 months or pay more for a non resident license and also be behind residents for drawn permitted events . Get your residence and I. D . guickly so you can hunt and fish reasonably priced and find an old timer like myself to take you under their wing . At least start out smaller ( deer maybe ). Study your guard ( kill shots for humane guick kills and less animal loss , practice , for God sake don't be lazy and go out wounding animals , and use the wind , and use the wind ( I know I said it twice but it's that important . Learn before you rush out there . I'd hate for you to go out and harvest an animal way too big for your experience only to be eaten alive by a bear halfway back while you resting .know the local laws and try to buddy hunt until you have more experience in less your wealthy then just pay a guide to hunt for you like so many other people who think there hunters . Not trying to be rude but a sguirell hardly prepares you , kinda like running before you walk, God bless n good luck , be safe
Hate to burst your bubble, but just because someone uses a guide doesn't mean they aren't a hunter. Some places need to be accessed by horseback because they are so remote for walkin access, which leaves renting one, and that's not too smart if you know nothing about taking care of one, or hiring a guide with horses and equipment to safely do the hunt. Furthermore, in case you aren't aware of it, there are certain animals in AK that require a guide, as well as all designated wilderness areas in Wyoming if you're a nonresident of that state. Making statements like you did is really not very good to put out on a hunting website since there are many ways to legally hunt and be a true hunter!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Banned

You beat me to it Top. I have to wonder how much experience the advise giver has after reading this from his post. "I'd hate for you to go out and harvest an animal way too big for your experience only to be eaten alive by a bear halfway back while you resting" .
Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Hate to burst your bubble, but just because someone uses a guide doesn't mean they aren't a hunter. Some places need to be accessed by horseback because they are so remote for walkin access, which leaves renting one, and that's not too smart if you know nothing about taking care of one, or hiring a guide with horses and equipment to safely do the hunt. Furthermore, in case you aren't aware of it, there are certain animals in AK that require a guide, as well as all designated wilderness areas in Wyoming if you're a nonresident of that state. Making statements like you did is really not very good to put out on a hunting website since there are many ways to legally hunt and be a true hunter!
Yeah, I wonder if he thinks I'm a "real hunter" since I've hunted both Canada and Africa and was required by law to be guided. I wonder if all the diy trips I've made for mulies, whitetails, blacktails, elk, pronghorn, black bear, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, wild boar, alligator, bison etc... are negated because sometimes you're required by law to hire a guide?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well sorry I thought he said he was hunting in Oregon not alaska, or Wyoming and your right , real hunters have to use guides to go to farther better hunts but there's a LOT of hunters who pay to show up and harvest a trophy who couldn't find a sguirell if you gave em nuts sorrry Top didn't mean to insult any one except maybe flags since he thinks i would hold it against him becuase he was reguired by law to use a guide sometimes , and sorry old timer but he wouldn't be the first one to get killed bringing meat outta the woods , Oregon is beautiful but it's a rough place for beginners and I still think sguirell to elks a big step but what do I know
Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

And seriously thanks for your service Flags ,nothing but Respect
Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Spike

So should I take my hunter safety course here in Virginia now or will I just have to take it again when I get to Oregon?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most states accept hunter safety certificates from any state.