Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with public land deer

Old 12-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK jrbdad, I'll be brutally honest? Bring the kids if your trying for there 1st deer/turkey? Otherwise If your trying for YOUR buck? Get out, pattern them, and HUNT THEM ALONE BUD
Old 01-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbdad
Ok I am new to whitetail hunting and am not having much luck. I hunt a Army base that holds a lot of deer. It gets a fair amount of pressure. It is over 40,000 acres. I have concentrated on a couple sections of approx. 40-60 acres. I am seeing lots of deer signs, but very few deer. Been hunting from the ground. In the mornings setting up on food plot ( no luck, seems to be a lot of acorns in deep wood). But the plots do have good signs of being used. Then scouting around in middle of the day. I have found bedding areas, places they are getting acorns, nice rubs and plenty of scat.

I need all the advice I can get!! Not sure where to set up and sit, or if I should just keep moving around? My 11year old son likes to go with sometimes, so moving around can be noisy. Have been doing my best to keep wind to my face and being quiet.

What am I doing wrong or what should I do different?

Thanks
Roger
You started deer hunting way to late. You should have been SCOUTING for this year, this time last year.

Put away your deer gun and get out your shotgun for squirrel and rabbits. NOW take your son with you and do your DEER SCOUTING for NEXT YEAR.

All that sign you are seeing, any of that stuff could be laying there for a month. Ignore it and look for deer. There is no better deer sign than seeing deer. Where the deer are right now is where the deer will be next year AFTER OPENING DAY of the season and THIS IS THE STUFF AND THE TIME YOU SHOULD BE TEACHING YOUR KIDS. Not opening day in a spot you heard about from a guy who USED to hunt there. That's not hunting or learning to hunt.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbdad
Thanks for the advice. I feel like its just a matter of time, but only being able to go on Saturdays limits my time.

Will be taking my son on his first active hunt ( he has just been an observer with me ) after Christmas. Would love to get him on a deer. He is getting his first shotgun for Christmas and doesn't know it.

Keep advice coming.
So he's never hunted anything in his life, never even shot a squirrel and you jumping him right in as a deer hunter.

Let me ask, have YOU ever killed a deer before?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
So he's never hunted anything in his life, never even shot a squirrel and you jumping him right in as a deer hunter.

Let me ask, have YOU ever killed a deer before?
I believe if you read the OP again that he already answered your question. Please remember that YOU were a newbie at one time and didn't learn everything over night, so maybe it would be best to let up a little bit on the poor guy!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Spike

Hey jrbdad,

Glad to see you are getting into hunting. My first recommendation would to be get a tree stand. I haven't had much success hunting from the ground myself. I like to be up at least 25 ft up. It gives you a better view, sometimes deer can be around you and you just don't see them. My second recommendation is to target cross trails, this will double your opportunity of seeing deer, and something to consider is deer may be eating at the food plot at night due to the heavy pressure. I am not sure where you are from, but up in MN when we get heavy snow we just sit on the food source and the deer will come.

Hope this helps!
Jake

PS. I don't know what the regulations are on bases. Might have to have a climber.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I like to be up at least 25 ft up"

Cripes, I get nosebleed when I hit 15 feet up, LOL! 25' is awful high up and IMHO you don't need to get anywhere near that high, especially if you have a little cover around you so you don't stand out because deer will look up and don't believe anyone that says they won't.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Way too high for me and not necessary where I have hunted all my life for deer. In fact, being too high could cost me shots.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Spike

Personal preference. I like to be high up, when I first started hunting I would be in ladder stands so you are definitely right, you can have successful hunts 10 to 15 ft. I personally think in some situations 25 ft helps with scent control.