Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer farms are joke

Old 10-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer farms are joke

I have a site for you to go see.
http://www.kenmcintoshoutdoors.com/
It makes me so mad to see that humans are raiseing deer.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:59 AM

Default RE: deer farms are joke

why??
Old 10-24-2003, 05:16 AM

Not my cup of tea but hey for the guy who likes killing, have at it. It does kind of leave a bad taste though, what if someone thinks this is hunting? If the pen is huge, is it less of a pen?

I did this for " wild boars" in PA once. Never called it a hunt though. It was different but they tasted good.

What is the difference between raising deer with big racks and raising plump pheasants for stocking ?

Greg
Old 10-24-2003, 05:17 AM

I really don' t see any difference in the " dear farm" then hiring a guide to hunt elk or anything else. A lot of the elk hunts are on private land also. I don' t know if the elk are " Raised" by humans as you put it but they know where to go to hunt them. The pics of the deer on site are beautiful.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s not my thing either. Though I am sure that any place that grows monster bucks will make some big money from hunters.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:41 AM

Jeramyk...you are right. That is what it is all about to some people..making money. The hunt means nothing to some people. Going out and scouting and then getting that big buck. That is what it is all about. I' m taking my son with me when I go this year. This will be his first hunt. It will mean more to me just to be with him and help him get his first deer. I' m really looking forward to it.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 AM

All of you guys are missing the big picture, this web site the guy is selling breeder bucks and bred does that is the main gig. It is all about the money, none of these deer will ever hit the books, i think it would be neet to see how big some of these farms can raise whitetails. If it wasn' t for some of these farms alot of states deer hunting would be pitiful. Look at alot of the states in the south and south west such as texas they are stocking big ranches with these northern raised deer with good genetics to improve the overall herd. If you dont like to hunt behind a fence " i dont either" then dont, but dont knock the guy for letting others who do have a chance. Loghead hunting with outfitters is a great thing, if you get a good one there are alot out there that suck but i use a guy in texas who is awesome. My comments only dont take them to heart we all have a opinion.

Old 10-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Our specially managed farms consist of approx 2000 acres spread over several farms, specially managed means just that, all thought our property consist of approx 2000 acres.
That guy should have that first paragraph edited. If I had a business I wouldn' t have a 3rd grader write my opening paragraph. So they have how many acres? Oh, 2000. .....and it' s specially managed, what' s that mean? Oh, just that.

???????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 10-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loghead

Jeramyk...you are right. That is what it is all about to some people..making money. The hunt means nothing to some people. Going out and scouting and then getting that big buck. That is what it is all about. I' m taking my son with me when I go this year. This will be his first hunt. It will mean more to me just to be with him and help him get his first deer. I' m really looking forward to it.
Now I think this might be an instance where I' d consider hunting one of these properties.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you feel that you don' t have the skills to kill a trophy buck,or your ego demands that you kill a large buck in very short time, hunting deer that are penned in and can' t escape may be your best chance of success.On the other hand hiring a guide to hunt wild unfenced game is the only way a non resident is legally allowed to hunt certain species or to hunt in some states and provinces. Hunting private land(with no game fences) unguided is a different circumstance again as you still need the skills to be able to kill the deer on your own and the private land just prevents interference from other hunters.