Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alabama dear hunt

Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AKbouhunter
I guess I should re-phrase. I dont intend to "stalk" like I would a caribou or moose. More or less find an area and hide and wait. I typically don't "stalk" game I find an area where they frequent and wait for them to pass.
Whole different story there. Control your scent and remain as motionless as possible and if you have done your homework and found the travel routes with good choke points then you should be successful in getting some meat on the ground. Whitetail tend to use ancestral trails until they start getting pressured then they go to secondary trails and escape routes as well as going more nocturnal. One other thing, them bama deer are some little buggers for the most part so practice shooting at lower targets.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Spike

I wish that I had some of the issues you guys talk about. "what bull to take" "unpressured animals". While this may be the norm for some remote areas anywhere a normal person can drive and traverse without taking a bush flight this is not the norm. Im gonna make a guess by the way you guys talk that our black bear are similar acting. Extremely cautious, highly developed sense of smell and very quick to make an escape. We are generally successful by watching where they are traversing and waiting for them to pass. Alabama is much flatter than AK which will present some challenges Im sure but I'm sure there are areas where one can find some cover and spend a little time in the woods.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Whole different story there. Control your scent and remain as motionless as possible and if you have done your homework and found the travel routes with good choke points then you should be successful in getting some meat on the ground. Whitetail tend to use ancestral trails until they start getting pressured then they go to secondary trails and escape routes as well as going more nocturnal. One other thing, them bama deer are some little buggers for the most part so practice shooting at lower targets.
I have a whole line of scent control stuff I use up here for black bear that would probably work. I typically wash and spray my clothes with enzyme killer and then seal them in a tub with some spruce. Wash with scent free soap before leaving the house and keep my clothes sealed until I'm in the woods.

My biggest issue is land access. A lot more of the lower 48 is private than up here. Probably gonna be some issues I assume.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

Gonna be some educational issues as well. You ask for intel and opinions and info on a species and an area you don't know from people who have been there and done that. You chose to discount it. I wish you luck.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Spike

Im not doubting that they are hard to sneak up on. What my issue with some of these statements is that you assume or imply that I don't have the ability. I asked for information and what I got was a bunch of "you can't". What I would like is some viable intel like that provided about the trails. Something useful, not just telling me what my abilities are.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one has said you "don't have the ability". What we have said is you may find it much more complex than I think you imagine it to be. Now, as far as your analogy comparing them to the Black Bear from your area (Dist.13) I think you are probably correct somewhat. I haven't hunted Dist.13 in probably 25 years or so, so my knowledge about that area and the pressures on the animals is somewhat dated to put it mildly. I fly in to areas that the animals have little to no human contact. Have for years. What we are trying to get across to you is that it will be a little to a lot different than what you are used to. Speculation (all you have at the moment) is much different than experience and we have just been attempting to share that experience with you.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

AK, I am sure coming from Alaska, your outdoors skills are a lot higher then most of your counter parts in lower 48, myself included, heck, a lot of people in the lower 48 think they are in the "boonies' when blacktop ends...lol. I have never hunted Alabama, but would think food sources would be a top priority, close to bedding area. I have heard Alabama has a lot of leased land and also hunt clubs. So, access might be the hardest part. That is the case in so many states, just getting into a prime whitetail area is hard. I take it your flying down? Otherwise, you would be driving thru some PRIME whitetail states on your way down. The hardest part in states like my home, Montana, is getting a tag this late in the game. Hopefully Alabama has permits available. Good luck with it!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I know for a fact what you are wanting to do can be done in Alabama. Here in Michigan if you were a archery hunter you were forced to hunt from the ground up until the 1970's and many did so.
The secret that most can't under stand with all the crap being sold today is moving slow really slow like if you break a tree branch your around to see a new shoot grow near the broken one, your moving so slow.
If you have the experience which it sound as if you do then your a step ahead.

Al
Old 08-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

All i can say is, hunt hard bud, watch the wind.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Spike

Access is my primary concern. On last visit I spent a good deal of time cruising around and did some hiking in the sipsey wilderness area since it was the only public land in relative proximity to where I was. If anyone knows anything about this area a little information would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.