Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Clear Cutting by Timber Company

Old 07-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Banned

There is no doubt that a clear cut can and will improve deer hunting. All the thick growth Hatfield is complaining about, most of it is deer food. It make take new tactics to hunt the area but even the first spring, new growth will begin. The only time I have seen a clear cut fail is if the area cut had extremely bad soil and fern growth took over and because of the natural herbicides put off by the ferns did not allow regeneration of trees and shrubs and the area turned into nothing but ferns which nothing eats. There has been some success using herbicides right after the cut to kill all the ferns to give trees a chance to regenerate.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Not only the food but all the bedding areas. Just add water, what more could a white tail ask for?

Al
Old 07-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

gjersy go to the wi dnr website look up deer kill by years you will notice a trend seems it coincides with all the clear cutting being done by the way 1 or 2 mast trees per acre lets go take a walk sometime point them pout to me besides 1 or 2 mast trees squirrels porcupines and raccoons will have most acorns before they fall take a walk north of hwy 95 where bruce mound road intersects it----walk around for awhile count the mast trees for me allyyooper in these cuts to clear a shooting lane in many areas a chain saw is needed we are talking very thick popple and maple and jack pine especially for a rifle
Old 07-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Banned

When the game changes you must change your tactics. If you aren't willing to do that moving to a new location will help you more than complaining.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
gjersy go to the wi dnr website look up deer kill by years you will notice a trend seems it coincides with all the clear cutting being done by the way 1 or 2 mast trees per acre lets go take a walk sometime point them pout to me besides 1 or 2 mast trees squirrels porcupines and raccoons will have most acorns before they fall take a walk north of hwy 95 where bruce mound road intersects it----walk around for awhile count the mast trees for me allyyooper in these cuts to clear a shooting lane in many areas a chain saw is needed we are talking very thick popple and maple and jack pine especially for a rifle
Yep? Been there in fact i logged & hunted there, Awesome hunting, by the way..............
Old 07-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyday,I'm in the Clark/Jackson County territory, the townships are pretty much awesome..... Tripp, Hughes & my Grandpa Merlin Lambert's County Park!! My Grandpa built that Park off HWY 54, Hatfield hunter!!, Again, my Fam gets white-tail all the time? Hatfield, you should GO HUNT?! Complaining will get you no where bud