Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Clear Cutting by Timber Company

Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you are at their mercy if they own and control the land. I doubt that they will change a lease to give you any more control than you already don't have! All you can do is get your stuff out of there before they start and hope they finish before the deer season starts so they don't completely ruin this season for you as expensive as that lease costs per person.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Funny!! just the other day I had a Yooper friend tell me several of the UP paper mills are setting idle and many a pulp cutter is off on a forced vacation.

I did get a letter from a timber company that wants to log off the hardwoods at my deer camp property and the cedars.

Al
Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 AM
Dominant Buck

vermont has some pretty strict timber cutting laws but with the high price now paid for softwoods a lot of that has been cut removing needed wintering yards. Up here they are leaving the sterile hardwood stands with no browse and taking the softwood. Luckily they are limited in scope of how much they can cut.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if this helps or not. The artwork is how my setup was before the logging.

Black X`s were my raised shooting platforms or high seats.
Light green is the border. The Duke owns the other side.
Kind of brown line is where the Deer regularly fed.
Black lines is where the Hogs crossed.

Now after the cut, there is pretty much nothing going on.

[/url]

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-30-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't own the land, not much you can do, if you want to manage land as you see fit, buy it...

Cutovers can be hotspots, deer can't reach much over 3-4 feet high, mature hardwood forest only feed them a few months out of the year whereas a cutover is loaded with low growth plants that deer will eat...
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of East Texas is Timber Company land. You are at their mercy, as they can do what they want, whenever they want to! It is their property! That said, I am hunting 5500 acres of timber company land. They have been clear cutting and thinning for the last 3 years. Normally, they will not cut on opening weekend, after that, all bets are off!
Also, most of them will not just run over your stuff. They will move it over a few yards or cut around it. Plus, if you catch them "thinning" at the right time, they may just cut you a shooting lane that they did not intend to cut!
All-in-all, over the years, I have not seen that their cutting has hurt the hunting much, if at all!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It helps tremendously out here. Clear cuts and soon after a big fire is prime time for big bucks.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

How long does your lease run for? How long are you stuck with the situation after the clear cut or in other words can you move?

Before the clear cut on the lease I hunted, there were two groups of a dozen Deer that fed in the same area on a regular basis. Mostly Doe and young Buck. During the rut, the big Bucks would show up.

After the clear cut, I'd see night feeders foraging through the new growth. Mostly just singles passing through.

The clear cut was near the end of a five year lease. Needless to say we didn't renew and moved on to another lease.

Has happened to me three times now, once was the clear cut, another time a highway right through the middle of a centuries old game trail and the last time some busy farmer moved the creek, which was the border between him, his neighbor and one side of my lease. All three times the hunting went bad or the game just moved to a better area.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-01-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best hunting with my buds, are making drives through 2 year old plus + logging clear-cuts, deer love the thick stuff, browse, cover, hunt them up.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a logger, so after i log/clearcut a county tract off, we go back after 2 years and drive & post. We get plenty of deer. Because of logging the Moose in the New England states made a come back. It works the same with deer as they are browsers also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.