Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help. Need advice

Old 10-25-2015, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ryman2183
Bought a 4 acre plot/house in June. This is my first season EVER hunting. Killed my first deer on Thursday evening. Back in June I needed help cutting down 5 large pine trees. Wife friends husband agreed to help if I let him hunt come gun season. He hasn't helped me bait, pay for bait, and didnt help me prep my woods (trails, stands, tents, etc) AT ALL. I don't wanna back out on my word but what are some appropriate stipulations/rules I can tell him for hunting my land come November 15th. I have 6 different decent sized bucks on my trail cams and I don't want him shooting them at all. Please help. Any advice is appreciated.
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Don't know where you live but typically gun seasons are really short (compared to bow season). Regardless the size of the land, you simply agreed to let him hunt gun season if he helped you take down the pine trees. You didn't say that he did help you but I will assume he did.

There was no mention in your post about anything related to baiting or stands. So your part of the bargain is you let him hunt this gun season. You didn't say gun season every year so it's just one season. One and done.

Another thing you may want to check is your laws on how close you can gun hunt to other houses. Here in IL it is no less than 300 yards unless you have permission from any occupied home.