Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer vision and camo

Old 09-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
True. I hunt oak flats, Corn fields, Marsh grass, cedar swamps, Winter, skylines, etc. I dont have a pattern for each of them. Matching does not work unless you are a ladder stand hunter who overhunts the same stand over and over. A mobile hunter that moves to where the deer are will be faced with countless patterns he would try to match.

I say it doesn't matter. Just stay still and kill deer in a plaid shirt while others are dropping big coin on the next greatest pattern.
I'd have to disagree a little. I think a lot of camo is far more universal than plaid. I do agree that it is not an absolute primary concern or worth paying for the latest and greatest though. Its certainly not as big of a deal as the industry would have us believe.

We also have fall turkey bow hunting coinciding with Archery deer season
Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Spike

THIS WAS A GREAT POST!!! it really is amazing with these creatures if you think about it...one little flinch and boom gone...I know this is going to sound stupid but i came up with a awesome idea 2 years ago for the mist that comes from our breath in the winter months...not only did i use it so im not spotted but have also used it to prevent fogging on my glasses. Find a buck grunt call...take out the mechanics inside that make the noise or just use the tube...depending on your gear find a way to make it comfortable in your mask but inside!! i have the tube go around the side of my face to wear it will not interfere with my mask and OMG its amazing!! NO FOG OR MIST THAT COMES OUT!!! i also came up with this cause i was sick and all i could do was breathe out of my mouth because my nose was so stuffed lol. if you dont want to dismantle a deer call go to your local auto parts store and pick up a thing of spark plug wire covers or and wire covers...very light, different sizes, and different lengths. my dad bought a black on and has it run from his mask to the front of his jack and faces the tube out his jacket and still no fog because the fog is already being created in the tube but because of the length it evaporates because of the length of the tube. Just make sure to clean it after every hunt!! i hope this helps everyone!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 AM
Spike

Camo is over rated and over priced..........it didn't exist in the since we know it until recently (the time frame people began hunting for sport instead of necessity) before that your ancestors hunted for survival for thousands of years and were more successful than most people today. The main benefits of modern hunting clothing is the ability to keep you warm and dry and allow you to stay comfortably In the field longer. As previously mentioned deer see movement more than detail and if you don't account for wind and scent control they will smell you before they see you. As far as 3d camo yes it moves with the wind but wouldn't it look odd if everything else is moving and a blob (you) is not moving with your surroundings. But more importantly it breaks up your outline and creates natural shadows. Printed shadows on clothing are unnatural. Most significantly all animals recognize unnatural outlines to their environments just as humans do. Don't get me wrong every edge you take is better than none .......but more emphasis seems to be put on camo/technology etc than actual hunting woodsman skills. I just read an ebook called lethal deer hunting by matthew wilder......I got it from smashwords but its on amazon/barnes and nobel too I think.....it really got me thinking about the camo discussion so I couldn't resist replying to this thread. Im hoping they will put out a print version of the book soon.