Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

can you hunt to much?

Old 10-14-2003, 08:01 PM

Default RE: can you hunt to much?

Yes it is possible to mess it up. If you are careful and play the wind properly and do everything else right, You will probably be okay though.

Is there alot of woods around your 30? OR is it all open fields around your 30?

If there is active deer that comes through there day or night still then you should be ok.

Troy
Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 PM

Guess I misunderstood. You can lessen your chances if you hunt the same area too much. I' m not used to hunting such a small area, but it may be possible to push deer out of the spot if you aren' t careful. I would guess that you should be alright with the amount of time you spend in the area, if you alternate stands as you indicated you do. Just be careful of wind direction and minimize your scent as much as possible.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:29 PM

well bud i' m in the same boat as you stuck in college but i don' t let that keep me down. you can never hunt too much. when i' m in the city at school i head outside the city5 miles and hunt mulies usually 3 days a week after school. then i head home ever weekend to hunt. hunt whietail friday evening when i get home, hunt whitetail saturday morning, grouse in the middle of the day then whitetail again in the evening. can' t hunt sunday here but i hit it again monday morning for an hour then drive back to the city for my first class.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:05 AM

I use most of my vacation for hunting. 2 days for the bow opener, 2 for the gun opener and the last 2 weeks of December. Oh yea, dont forget 2-3 days for spring turkey. Not to mention all the Saturdays in-between.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My woods like I said is about 30 arces. There is a woods that is diagonal from mine that butts right up next to the corner of my woods. This woods is about a 20 arce woods. There are fields all around my woods. There is a river about 1000 feet away from my woods. There is about a 25 acre woods behind mine that is about 1000 feet away.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:49 PM

This is a loaded question, to us no you cant hunt to much, I think you are asking can you pressure thesedeer to much and the answer is yes. If the deer activity is alot slower than it was when you started hunting then you know the answer. Can never hunt enough but can pressure the deer way to much. Hope I helped
Old 10-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot depends on how often the deer are in that patch or woods, how much you disturb them and how much scent you leave behind. If all this is minimal, then keep hunting, but if you are busting them out each time, you may want to give it a break.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I think if you are not careful in that 30 acre lot you could overhunt it, but a couple times a week I don' t think would be too much.

As far as the question being interpreted the other way about hunting too much, I will probably catch some heat from some of you guys but Yes I believe you can hunt too much and I' ll give you two examples:

1. I' ve had opportunities when I could hunt as much as I wanted, and to be truthful I burned myself out before the season was half over and took it for granted the amount of time I was out. Now I' m a working stiff and every minute I get I value more than ever.

2. You' ve got to put family first, if the family needs something I put everything down and take care of business, whether it' s sickness or a kids sporting event etc., there will always be tomorrow to hunt.

As Greg Miller stated in one of his recent whitetail books, " Temper your enthusiasm with a little common sense" I have etched that quote into my mind, what a great statement for life in general.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:22 PM

My wife thinks I hunt too much!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What should I do to make sure I dont over hunt the whole woods. I do move from stand to stand each time I hunt. I try and not hunt from the same stand more then twice a week. In this woods I have 3 different stands they are all on opposite sides of each other.