Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting in the rain

Old 10-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting in the rain

I will hunt in the rain. If bow hunting and it starts pouring to the point I don' t feel I can effectively follow a blood trail, I will stop.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:19 PM

Unless it' s a full-blown hurricane, I' ll hunt in it. I haven' t seen weather severe enough to keep me out of the woods during deer season yet.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:54 PM

Deer in the rain are alot easier to hunt in the rain than in the sunny weather. That cant hear you or see you quit as well in the rain. And I am not talking of a mist. When it is raining get the poncho on and get out of the stand and stalk. You will be surprised how close you can sneak up on them. This goes for bow or gun,dont be a wussy.

Troy
Old 10-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt out of a ground blind watch my shots dont
like to loose a blood trail in a down pour!!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 PM

If you hunt from a treestand you can use a product called a tree-brella. I' m sure you have seen it. It looks like an umbella that attaches to the tree above your head. You stay completely dry and thus stay on stand longer. I' ve never had a deer spook from it. I got this for Christmas a couple of years ago. I thought I would never use it, but it has become one of my most dependable items. I don' t get many days I can hunt and thus can' t afford to have the few days I have spoiled by the weather. Besides, the hunting can be quite good between periods of hard rain.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting in a light rain, although the sound can put me to sleep if I' m already beat from working.
I like snow better, but rain will do nicely.

Soaked leaves on the ground make it easier to move quietly.

The whole trick to being comfortable out there is staying dry.
Once you get wet, you' ll be miserable in short order, even if you have the constitution to stick it out.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:50 PM

Hunting in the rain can have its benefits. the deer are moving during a light rain because they can move quieter and not be heard by predators. This means we hunters have to be even more alert. Deer also like to move during a light breeze. They can catch the scent better which makes it harder for us again. I say if you can take the rain get out into the field.