Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering the deer yourself?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Butchering the deer yourself?

As far as the cuts go it is hard to explain without standing in front of the deer. We hang them from the hind legs and start at the top, skin them down. Then cut the outside tenders out with a cut right above the hind quarters along the spine and to front quarters, then cut front quarters off, and hind quarters off, bone out meat by following bone with knife until you have one complete peice of meat. You then have alot of clean up to do on the neck and ribs. Once you have the quarters boned out you can decide what you want You have a large roast that can be cut into whatever size you want. Sliced into steaks or smoked whatever. Don' t be worried about the looks it tastes the same no matter what. You will get better at it after you get a couple under your belt. Another way to afford equipment easier is to find a couple of friends to help with the bill. The grinder we have was about 275 dollars and three or four people paying 50 bucks a peice for a deer to be processed does not take long to buy the equipment.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:51 PM

Try these web sites.

http://www.remington.com/magazine/current/2003_1011.asp

http://www.remington.com/magazine/pr...2003_1001c.htm

I have only butchered them myself a coupla times. It took a little while, but my and the wife think the meat tasted better. We hang our deer up in camp overnight if its cool. We skin em and then put them in game bags to keep the flies off.

My 2 cents

Eric
Old 10-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Get a good knife, hacksaw, and clean container to hold all the meat.
1. hang the deer by the back legs.(make cuts between tendon and bone.Insert a stell rod or gambrell through both)
2. skin the deer down past the neck
3. cut down along the spine(both sides)from the hip to the neck. Remove the backstraps buy cutting along the ribs or by pulling the meat away.
4. cut out the insde loins if not damaged.
5. grasp front leg and cut at shoulder cartiledge. Repeat for other leg.
6. cut all meat from the neck area( can use as a roast if cuts are large)
7. cut away the rib cage at the hip(reducing the weight)
8. place both hind 1/4' s butt down on flat surface and cut both sides(end to end) 2 inches or so from the center. Your cut should be even with the hip/leg socket. Stick the tip of the knife into the socket and cut the tendon holding the joint. This will free the 1/4. Cut remaining meat from the rump area.
9. cut off legs where muscle begins.
Now you have a big container of meat. If its late I usually store it in the fridge for no more than 3 days.
Try to remove all fat, membrane and bloodshot meat first.
Use the front shoulders for stew or ground meat. cut and cube
Cut the straps about 3/4 inch thick removing the shiny membrane first.
Cut the hinds by following the bone. this will give you 2 big chunks of meat. The bigger muscles can be seen. You can seperate these pieces and use these for your steaks or even a roast. Use all reaming meat for either stew or ground meat(cut and cube)

I too use Ziplocks...They work great for the ground meat.
I have done at least 50 deer this way and works good..Just take your time. The more you do the better and faster you will get.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:00 PM

Troy, the main reason deer is hung for a couple of days is to tenderize the meat. Hanging will definitely make it taste better. Believe me it makes a difference. The only drawback is that if you do hang it has to be under 40 degrees. You can find a good article on the process as well as butchering here:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/fnh/michiganvenison.pdf
Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM

JerseyJoe just gave you perfect directions!

The doe I got yesterday 5pm,, was in the fridge by 10(1.5 hr drive from home), and I cut it up this way this am. I prefer to hang for a couple days but mid 70' s weather,, dictated quarterring and into a fridge immediately.

Only difference, I do is remove inside tendies,, first thing!!! there is no better piece of meat on the deer,, remove them before you damage them! Alot of times you dont need a knife for these,, just slide your fingers under them and work them out.

When I cut the backstrap up,, I butterfly the pieces and sort of just fillet off the silver skin... makes a beautiful chop!

Time to fire up the bbq,, tendies for dinner tonight!

Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 PM

what is a brat? where the hell have u been my friend?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I get the skin off as fast as I can. Usually within an hour or so. Here in North Dakota your biggest promblem with letting it hang is that by the next day it will be froze like a rock. The only thing you can do then is cut them up with a recipe saw. Been there Done That
Old 10-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Troy,

Go to your nearest public library (or bookstore, or Amazon.com) and look for a book called Butchering Deer, by John Weiss. It is a complete, step by step manual of field dressing, skinning, aging, butchering and cooking deer at home.

I read it every year just before the season opens to brush up.......it' s an easy read, and it' s very interesting.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

A bratwurst, kinda like a sausage?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:55 PM

DO ALL USE THE FOOD SAVER COMPACT TO STORE YOUR MEAT. WHAT DO ALL PUT ALL' S MEAT IN TO GO IN THE FRIDGE. START BUTCHERING MYSELF THIS YEAR TO SAVE MONEY.

GO DEEP HUNT HARD.

Quick Reply: Butchering the deer yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.