Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need ideas for getting blind out to my spot

Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Need ideas for getting blind out to my spot

I'm looking to invest in a Stump 2 deer blind, but first I need to be sure I can get it to where it needs to be. That means dragging it about 1/2 mile through a bog over peat moss. Right now I use a pop-up style ground blind that I leave out there over the winter inside a heavy duty bin. I use a jet sled to get everything else I need out to the spot. The area I hunt on is good high ground, but I have to go across a lot of low, wet ground to get there.

An ATV is not an option -- I had my 4WD Polaris in there once, and let's just say I'll never do it again. It almost spent the rest of its life there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by schuld66; 11-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

A little information on the blind would help. Size how wide, how tall have a floor and the weight also.

A friend made a skid out of PVC pipe and he can mount on his 5'x5' blind and two guys can pull it thru the woods.

Al
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

From what I found online, this expensive tower weighs 250 pounds! If you can not use an ATV, then the tried and true solution is "many hands". Perhaps put it on a cart or sled and get 6 people to pull it out. 6 can move a piano or a heavy casket - they can move this. Otherwise, a helicopter comes to mind.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe use a plastic sled,I was in Academy of Sports the other day and they had a nice heavy duty hard plastic Camo sled that would work great for hauling in gear and pulling a nice Big (Dead) Buck out of the woods!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you know anyone with a hovercraft?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Where is the area? You might want to wait till it is cold and snow and ice is on the ground.
Then a large size jet sled will be far easier to pull.

Or don't buy the stump blind - build your own as pieces could be hauled in far easier.

Or research other plastic blinds as some do come in panels.

Or find somebody with an Argo

JW

Last edited by JW; 11-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default Other Blinds

I've been looking into other piece-together plastic blinds. Some seem flimsy, but others might work. I thought about building my own out of wood, but plastic is lighter and more maintenance-free. The problem with more guys pulling is that it would be tough to have the room for 6 guys pulling, not to mention talking 5 other guys into a "fun" day of pulling a blind through a bog!

As for waiting for freezing weather, the bog never freezes all the way through. The walk ends up being worse because you're breaking through a thin layer of ice every other step. Even in sub-zero weather, there's still standing water under the thin ice.

I'll probably end up making several trips dragging a couple pieces at a time. My nephew will probably help me out -- I'm too old and fat.

Here are a couple blinds I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Formex-Snap-Lo..._cd_al_qh_dp_i

Seems too flimsy though, and no floor (I could build one).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...=426880&r=view

Nice, but definitely not cheap. I'm leaning towards this one, though.

Opinions?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not that complicated...

No singular part of the blind is that heavy or large. It doesn't make sense to force yourself to struggle a huge awkward volume and 250lbs of weight when you can make life a lot easier and break it into sections. The base might take 2 trips, and the blind box might take 2 trips, such is life, but at least you'll only have to do it once.

Game cart with "mud wheel kit" will help you move a lot more weight than you can on your back, and as long as you're not slogging in mud for the entire half mile, keeping it on top of the peat is just a matter of not overloading. Wrap the wheels in cardboard and duct tape to keep them from filling with mud. Still might require multiple trips to prevent sinking.

If the wheels sink, a skidder might be a reasonable option, but dragging something is often more difficult than carrying it.

If you own or have access to a horse, that'd be my solution. Mitigate all of my physical labor entirely.

Otherwise, you're looking at multiple trips carrying reasonable loads.