Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Milo Hanson Buck - would you pass?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can see David Morris looking at it with binoculars and saying it needs two more years. The paying customers would be shown a 6.5 year old 8-pointer.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

I would pass. I have had my opportunity at a giant my first year bowhunting would have netted over 220 absolute giant. The reason I passed was the fact I wasn't comfortable shooting the distance he was at especially with how bad I was shaking with buck fever... Needless to say I haven't seen him again and nor will I ever. I had passed up many deer 150+ before I even shot my first buck because they were to young. I don't care about antler size though more about the age, antlers are a bonus.

I like to put it this way people are more sad and upset when a child dies than when an older person does due to the simple fact the child never got to live. Why not let the young dumb bucks grow and enjoy life and go after the old wise deer that can are the true trophy
Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had passed up many deer 150+ before I even shot my first buck because they were to young.
That's the first time I've heard that. A hunter who still hasn't shot his first buck passing up 150" + bucks.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
That's the first time I've heard that. A hunter who still hasn't shot his first buck passing up 150" + bucks.
When I set my goals I try to reach them. If it would have taken one more year I probably would have caved in. But growing up in Iowa in a deer management state that's all I heard growing up is to shoot the old ones so I set my goal high at the start of my career. Trail cams also had the extra push to keep me true to my goal
Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got give Iowa does some credit. Giving birth to fawns who already have antlers must be tough.

Is it really like that in Iowa? Immature bucks have 150+ racks? To 99.9% of hunters, a 150 would be their career best.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I would pass. I have had my opportunity at a giant my first year bowhunting would have netted over 220 absolute giant. The reason I passed was the fact I wasn't comfortable shooting the distance he was at especially with how bad I was shaking with buck fever... Needless to say I haven't seen him again and nor will I ever. I had passed up many deer 150+ before I even shot my first buck because they were to young. I don't care about antler size though more about the age, antlers are a bonus.

I like to put it this way people are more sad and upset when a child dies than when an older person does due to the simple fact the child never got to live. Why not let the young dumb bucks grow and enjoy life and go after the old wise deer that can are the true trophy

Not that I believe a word of that but IF so, that proves my point that today's "hunting industry" & most of the shows filmed on high fence operations with genetically manipulated deer has done more harm than good for hunting. ESPECIALLY amongst younger or newer hunters as they think that's the way it supposed to be. Whenever a 150 class animal is snubbed, something is wrong. I realize the posters location IS in central Iowa & that IS one of THE greatest monster producers around but it's a simple biological fact that in 90%+ of the whitetails natural range, 150class represents the beginning of the top end of most bucks genetic potential even under ideal conditions! 170+ is a genetic rarity & equal to the rarity of 7ft tall humans! When you start talking about 200+ class then you are essentially "off the charts" as far as odds & predictability are concerned. When you consider all the natural variables like natural selection, genetic variability, natural mortality/survivability, hunter harvests, weather, food, environmental conditions etc... the odds of MONSTER bucks is a very small & fragile proposition to begin with. There's ALOT more involved than just giving bucks decent food & 5+ yrs of age!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-15-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr

Not that I believe a word of that but IF so, that proves my point that today's "hunting industry" & most of the shows filmed on high fence operations with genetically manipulated deer has done more harm than good for hunting. ESPECIALLY amongst younger or newer hunters as they think that's the way it supposed to be. Whenever a 150 class animal is snubbed, something is wrong. I realize the posters location IS in central Iowa & that IS one of THE greatest monster producers around but it's a simple biological fact that in 90%+ of the whitetails natural range, 150class represents the beginning of the top end of most bucks genetic potential even under ideal conditions! 170+ is a genetic rarity & equal to the rarity of 7ft tall humans! When you start talking about 200+ class then you are essentially "off the charts" as far as odds & predictability are concerned. When you consider all the natural variables like natural selection, genetic variability, natural mortality/survivability, hunter harvests, weather, food, environmental conditions etc... the odds of MONSTER bucks is a very small & fragile proposition to begin with. There's ALOT more involved than just giving bucks decent food & 5+ yrs of age!
pretty much nailed it right there.
the goal i'm trying to accomplish is to harvest a mature buck and put some meat in the freezer. antlers are just a bonus but because of media have become the biggest male anatomy measuring competition in hunting today.
that being said though, if a person we're to edge out the hanson buck it really isn't about the delicious sausage anymore. i can only imagine the paycheck that accompanies the attention it would bring.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

I passed this buck three times last year all with in 20 yards.

Had him dead to rights in this picture.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I'd pass some one got it already.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

iayote that's a DANDY buck there & certainly FAR beyond what the vast majority of bow hunters in the country will ever get a crack at. But even still, that's a LONG way from 220" Kong! (Im not assuming thats the 220 you spoke of? id guess that a 150-160 class 3yr old?) Only you can say what's a trophy to you & if you saw him 3x last year then he'll likely still be around this year & even that much better. As for your passing on a 220"er,I WILL congratulate you on passing the shot because you weren't comfortable with it. Many would've "flung & prayed" without regards to the animals life or concern for a clean kill, so congrats on that.

But don't EVER think that ANY buck over 170-180 is an "also ran", ESPECIALLY with a bow! I don't care WHERE you are, when you start questioning animals that large, especially as a bow hunter, then something's wrong or that persons realistic expectations are out of kilter. (Thus my comments about the "industry" today & their negative effect on today's hunters)

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-15-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.