Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Winchester ballistic silver tips

Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Them bears don't play, we need to figure out how to make some yeti gravity feeders !!!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Spike

I have yet to shoot the barnes TTSX 140gr 7mm rem mag at anything but I can't wait to do so. I wouldn't hesitate to stick anything Federal Premium in any of my rifles. I'd drive the barnes down range. Haven't hardly read a negative comment about them. I want a 7mm-08 myself one day.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't find any ammo for it the other day. It seems like a lot of people are getting the 708.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

the BST is the exact same bullet as the nosler ballistic tip except it has a luballoy coating, I have shot bears on the shoulder with the 140 nosler from a 7mmSTW impact velocity was almost 3500 fps, the bullet broke the shoulder and exited. you will do fine with any shot on deer from a 7-08
RR
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7mag_Jake
I have yet to shoot the barnes TTSX 140gr 7mm rem mag at anything but I can't wait to do so. I wouldn't hesitate to stick anything Federal Premium in any of my rifles. I'd drive the barnes down range. Haven't hardly read a negative comment about them. I want a 7mm-08 myself one day.
I shoot the 140TTSXs in both of my 7mags as well as my 280. (I'm kinda partial to 7mms ) The 7mm 140 TTSX is nearly perfect for all lower 48 game. I'd probably slide up to a 150 were I going for Yukon moose but I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned with the 140s, being a Barnes they'll still out penetrate 150-160 lead cored bullets!

As for the 120s, my son & his bud have piled up the does & yotes with them. I've yet to recover a bullet because everyone of them has been a pass-thru regardless of angle or distance. But I seriously doubt they'll stay in any whitetail based on my experience I had years ago with the .30cal 130 Xbullet I drove to near 4k fps from my Lazzeroni Warbird. I purposefully TRIED to blow it up or have a failure including double shouldering a 200#+ buck @ 25yds & another 200#+ I shot in the chest at 95yds as he was facing me while I was on the ground & drove him lengthwise. The Barnes just "keep going & going & going" sectional density doesn't really matter with a Barnes if impact velocities are kept over 2k fps. The lighter weights allow you to utilize higher muzzle velocities, flatter trajectories & in this case, a little less recoil for your sons 7-08 vs a heavier bullet.

Ps
I warn anyone about trying a 7-08... Be careful, you'll likely fall in love! I put together my sons 7-08 for myself actually but he claimed it for his 12th birthday before I could ever fire a shot through it. His bud likewise asked for a 7-08 so his dad had me put together a Ruger American for him. I had a 7-08 back in the early 90s but as a young, stupid man I traded it off. Now that I've been back around these "baby 7s" I've gotten "re-bitten" by it once more. So much so that my 7mags are likely relegated to safe queens & my Rem Custom Shop 280 will likely join them as I made the mistake of picking up a stainless Ruger American Compact 7-08. I'm waiting to pick up & feel a Kimber Adirondack 7-08. One of those two WILL be my next toy!!!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-14-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I shoot the 140TTSXs in both of my 7mags as well as my 280. (I'm kinda partial to 7mms ) The 7mm 140 TTSX is nearly perfect for all lower 48 game. I'd probably slide up to a 150 were I going for Yukon moose but I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned with the 140s, being a Barnes they'll still out penetrate 150-160 lead cored bullets!

As for the 120s, my son & his bud have piled up the does & yotes with them. I've yet to recover a bullet because everyone of them has been a pass-thru regardless of angle or distance. But I seriously doubt they'll stay in any whitetail based on my experience I had years ago with the .30cal 130 Xbullet I drove to near 4k fps from my Lazzeroni Warbird. I purposefully TRIED to blow it up or have a failure including double shouldering a 200#+ buck @ 25yds & another 200#+ I shot in the chest at 95yds as he was facing me while I was on the ground & drove him lengthwise. The Barnes just "keep going & going & going" sectional density doesn't really matter with a Barnes if impact velocities are kept over 2k fps. The lighter weights allow you to utilize higher muzzle velocities, flatter trajectories & in this case, a little less recoil for your sons 7-08 vs a heavier bullet.

Ps
I warn anyone about trying a 7-08... Be careful, you'll likely fall in love! I put together my sons 7-08 for myself actually but he claimed it for his 12th birthday before I could ever fire a shot through it. His bud likewise asked for a 7-08 so his dad had me put together a Ruger American for him. I had a 7-08 back in the early 90s but as a young, stupid man I traded it off. Now that I've been back around these "baby 7s" I've gotten "re-bitten" by it once more. So much so that my 7mags are likely relegated to safe queens & my Rem Custom Shop 280 will likely join them as I made the mistake of picking up a stainless Ruger American Compact 7-08. I'm waiting to pick up & feel a Kimber Adirondack 7-08. One of those two WILL be my next toy!!!
Thank you for the feedback, I'm all geared up to get our rifles dialed in to dispense some of those pill shockers .
God's groceries !!!!