Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much clearing/trimming?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much clearing/trimming?

How much clearing and trimming do you do? The tree that I normally hunt from has gotten so overgrown that I can't even see the ground from the stand. I realize I am a little bit behind the power curve with prepping my stand. I am assuming it will be as much as it takes.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

If you can't see to shoot you may as well stay home, you have to do the amount of cutting you need to see.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trim enough to see decently and for a good clear shot....leave enough to conceal Yourself if possible!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

As was said before, as little as possible, as much as necessarily needed!!!! If you can get away with just 2 small shooting lanes, do so. Are you shooting bow or gun? With a gun, you will need a smaller window. If you are going to use the stand for both, do as much as you absolutely havce to. They notice EVERYTHING out of order in a very short time!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Spike

Since it's late I wouldn't get too carried away but if you're using an extendable saw and cutting alot above normal level you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

here is one of my set ups lots of back cover but a clear shooting lane..I do have good cover to the right and left but directly in front it's fairly open.. I have had as many as 10 does in front of me with no issues
Attached Thumbnails How much clearing/trimming?-pict0064.jpg   How much clearing/trimming?-pict0065.jpg  

Last edited by ojibwa; 10-12-2014 at 04:07 PM.