Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEMANDING RESPECT as a deer hunter.....

Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 AM

Default DEMANDING RESPECT as a deer hunter.....

I have monitored this site for about a year & have been very pleased with the enthusiasm I see here. I am one to be more " old fashioned" in my thinking, however I believe one of the wonderful aspects of technology has been the way we can communicate with one another world wide on the internet. Message boards are a useful tool and this one is no different as it brings about a collective voice for " the deer hunter" - a brotherhood who share a fondness of the outdoors & the elusive whitetail, which is perhaps God' s most terrific creation.

One thing I' d like to discuss today is the aspect of DEMANDING RESPECT as a deer hunter. Do you DEMAND RESPECT, or do you simply go through the motions of hunting & allow other circumstances to give you a " free pass" while in the woods? If it is raining do you stay in & allow the rain to " give you an out?" If you are on stand & need to take a restroom break, do you find a suitable place in the woods or do you go back to camp & use the outhouse, allowing " mother nature" to give you an excuse for not dropping an elusive whitetail? These are questions I would like you to answer.

This fall, I will certainly DEMAND RESPECT as a deer hunter. Notice I will not ask for it, or even expect it, rather I will DEMAND IT. My methods of demanding said respect may differ from yours. I may choose to arrive to the stand & perform a ritual each time I get there - perhaps I will circle my stand backwards (after setting my gun or bow down for safety) or do a one-legged hop when I arrive to get me mentally prepared for thhe hunt. Maybe you will choose to arrive a solid 2 hours before day break to mentally prepare yourself. Both of these methods would be a way in which you can DEMND RESPECT as a deer hunter.

It is not too late to DEMAND RESPECT this very fall. Maybe your season has begun & you are thinking, " My season has started & I have yet to DEMAND RESPECT." Let me state that it is never too late. I have always been a savvy hunter, but this fall I will take it a step further. I am considering giving myself the same prep speech when I get to the top of my tree....." Sweetwater, are you prepared for this hunt? Are you going to DEMAND RESPECT, or are you going to return from this hunt weary without learning anything valuable about the life & movement of whitetails? Are you ready, Sweetwater, because these deer are ready."

Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM

Default RE: DEMANDING RESPECT as a deer hunter.....

Wow, what a concept...

I don' t demand respect as a deer hunter from nature rather I give it. I have my rituals and they are between me and the woods, the trees , and most importantly the animal I am about to kill. I give everything the proper respect. Nature is the only thing in my life that gets respect simply because it is. Everyone and everything else, I prefer earn my respect. Simply put, I am here to hunt. After my family, it is so much of what makes me, me. Weather, other committments, and other intrusions become secondary because I need to hunt to feel full. I never apologize for hunting in fact I always do what I can to promote it. For example, when I coach my childrens little league teams, I always wear hunting related clothing when it is appropriate. My wife doesn' t like it but I do it for a reason. These people will eventually be making a decision that will be effecting my hunting. My thinking is, hey I' m doing good by your kids so you do good by mine support my love for hunting.

Likewise, I don' t hide from the fact that I love the kill. It is not, nor will it ever be the reason I hunt but without it, why bother. I can list the many things that I enjoy about hunting seperate from any killing. It would take pages. It is the self-control, the preparation, the minute leading up to teh shot, the reverence, the sadness, they all make this sport what it is. Practically a religion. A friend once criticized someone for shooting too many deer. They were all legally taken and used completely. I asked him why he didn' t say that about me since I shoot enough deer for me and my family to eat for a year. He told me that even though I am a meat hunter and that I kill seven or so deer a year for the fridge, I show more respect for the deer I kill than anyone he knows. Boy did it feel good that someone noticed. I can' t discount the regret about the kill and sometimes the sadnes if I have not been successful in making it quick and clean. It is, none the less, a fist pumping, teary eyed event that you have to live to understand. Now as I pass that on to my son, I suppose I will demand his respect. His respect for the animal he kills, the land he hunts on, and of the spirit of the woods. He is young so I have time to teach him. I try to remember...actions talks.

So if that is what you mean....I can respect you.

Greg
Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 PM

my ritual is doing cartwheels to my stand....
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM

Great responses! Doing cartwheels on the way to your stand is surely a way to DEMAND RESPECT! Also, the response regarding DEMANDING RESPECT of your son' s little league parents is a great way to demand it. You wear shirts that relate to your passion & the respect is given. You did not ask them for it, but rather DEMANDED IT by your selected clothing. You also demand it by your reverence for the animal & the experience that it is.

I also have DEMANDED RESPECT in the past by saying a personal prayer over the slain animal before I take it from its home. To me, this is proper & it also has helped me to allow other folks I have introduced to hunting see what it means to a real " hunter." The experiecne, like you say, is almost religion & not in a sacreligious way at all. I feel that God has a huge part in it all - He is the reason for it all! And I thank Him for blessing me with the passion for such a prolific expereince.

I really look forward to DEMANDING RESPECT after these responses. Each of you should be commended.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweetwater, I have read your post several times trying to understand the point you are attempting to convey.

I think I understand now what you are saying, But if I may, I think the word you are looking for is COMMANDING rather than DEMANDING.

Folks that demand a respect are rarely actually respected, However, those that have a commanding appearance are often respected for no other reason than they " Look" like someone who is in authority.

I think you simply used the wrong word to express what many here do on a regular basis.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Sweetwater,

I must say I agree with Dave.

I too read your post twice and really didn' t get the feeling or emotion you may have been trying to convay.

However, " command" respect from my 100+ employees, not demand it. As too, they (my employees) ritefully command my respect.

For me when hunting I respect the wild and the deer I hunt. I dont put a game face on and fail not to blink, sleep or even releive my self off of my stand.

I simpley take in all the glory of my surrounding that the good Lord has created and try my best to be part of my surroundings.

As a hunter I to take pride in my ability and rite to hunt. I also take every effort to take my game quickly and very humane.

I see your seriousness in your post I just dont see the demanding part or it.

I did not work my way up the hunting ladder to be a deer hunter, so to speak, so I demand nothing, other than demanding that I my self enjoy my hunt with safety in mind and to take a good harvest.

The best of luck to you this season!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not sure what your getting at....like weekend warrior-diehard type thing? weekend warrior hunting opening day and maybe a weekend or something like that not really out to do much hunting...or the die hard.out rain or shine doing what it takes to bag the animal he or she wants.....im alot closer to a diehard....ive been scouting every week since the end of august now...i didnt think fall would ever get here....i put alot of time into my deer...it always pays off....it takes patience and alot of thinkgs normal people wont do....sitting in freezing rain for hours on end....sitting in snow like its your own little igloo making sure you freeze....and if i gota go i let it fly...thats the only way to bag the deer you WANT to bag....but if your out there just to be out there to get away for a change i can see why you wouldnt freeze and suffer ect ect for nothing.....the kill is always a nice reward to all my hard work..but i dont DEMAND it....theres days i freeze all day and dont see anything....i still walk out smiling and me and dad sitll eat lunch or dinner laughing and having a great time....i love to hunt period....taking game is just a sweet reward...i mean if i NEVER bagged anything i probally wouldnt hunt....id still be in the woods...i love it out there...theres no place i rather be....the sights..sounds..smells ect are just so great in the woods.....i live for it....
Old 10-08-2003, 09:30 PM

Demand respect from who/what? I sit in a stand in solitude. Who is there to demand this respect from in the first place? The animals? I dont think they give a damn about ANY of us one way or the other, regardless of whether we are there to hunt deer, ducks, turkeys whatever. They are in no way " impressed" by our stature, experience, prowess or previous records!

lmao Sweet is that kinda your take on it?
RA
Old 10-08-2003, 11:11 PM

Maybe I' m not understanding your message completely, Sweetwater... I was raised that you give respect to mother nature for she can be an awesome force. And to the plants and animals for without them we could not exist. Personally I don' t respect a person that demands it nor do I demand it from anyone either.....Respect has to be earned. Like I said, I may have misinterpreted your meaning and don' t mean to pee in anyone' s cherios. Just my thought of your post.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:33 AM

Interesting post, but I don' t get it. DEMAND RESPECT from whom?

Quick Reply: DEMANDING RESPECT as a deer hunter.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.