Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22-250, 223, or .308

Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jandrey
The cartridges are because I am getting a TC venture predator
Not sure what you mean by this... Are those the options available where your buying the rifle? Because the Predator is available in other cartridge offerings.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-...nture-predator

The Predator isn't like the T/C Dimension with the LOC system (Locking Optimized Components) Even if it was, the .223 is in a different LOC family than the .22-250, and the .308... Not sure if that's what you meant, but thought I'd mention it just in case that's what you were thinking about the Predator.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-...ion/components

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 02-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Spike

Yea those are the three caliber the store has.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then I would suggest you go with what I believe has been an almost unanimous reply, and suggest that you buy the .308 for whitetails.

Not sure if this is really relevant, but I had a former boss that had been a Marine sniper... His go to cartridge was the .308.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest deciding what you want and then find it rather than limiting your self to what 1 store has.

Make sure you get what you want is my advice.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I would suggest deciding what you want and then find it rather than limiting your self to what 1 store has.

Make sure you get what you want is my advice.
Sage advice Rock... But if the OP is anything like I was in my younger days, sometimes he just can't help himself... It is after all, a new rifle... ROFLMAO!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lunkerdog - I was defending your position that .308 was a caliber and not just a cartridge.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

BarnesX308, I suppose we could discuss whether it's just a matter of semantics... Either way in the end I was really just trying to convey a bit of info to the OP... If we've accomplished that threw this discussion I'm good with that.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

BarnesX308, I suppose we could discuss whether it's just a matter of semantics... Either way in the end I was really just trying to convey a bit of info to the OP... If we've accomplished that threw this discussion I'm good with that.
Don't matter to me. But, when I buy bullets to load for my 308 Winchester cartridge, I will buy .308 caliber bullets.....Barnes X, to be exact.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Don't matter to me. But, when I buy bullets to load for my 308 Winchester cartridge, I will buy .308 caliber bullets.....Barnes X, to be exact.
I'm not loading any .308's at this point... but did a quick check of my 7mm components... Again I'm wondering about the semantics... This time between the Manual writers, and the Bullet manufacturers.

My Barnes Triple Shocks don't actually say "caliber" just 7mm (.284) They're at least 5 years old so can't say about today's packaging. But... My Nosler Accubonds do list the caliber as 7mm (.284).

I don't own a Barnes manual ( I called them and they were good enough to snail mail me the data I was looking for... Thought that was pretty cool) I would be interested in how your Barnes manual classifies the .308 Winchester vs. how the current Barnes packaging classifies the .308 bullets... Semantics Manufacture designation

Either way, again, I hope that the OP is catching on to what we're discussing here.

When buying a new rifle, many offer different "caliber" options, but in the end you are actually buying a "cartridge" offering. Two of the offerings he mentions are designated as .22 calibers, but are different cartridges. We're currently having the discussion about his 3'rd option.

Hopefully as the OP reads this it prompts him to do some further research, rather than just take some random online advice, even if that advice in this case has been overwhelmingly for the .308... I know that it has prompted me to do some digging myself. Tho for other reasons.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 02-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

of the 3, the 308 is the deer caliber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.