Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The monkey is off my back!

Old 01-04-2002, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The monkey is off my back!

Well it snowed yesterday morning so I left work at noon and went hunting early. Saw two sets of fresh tracks working my way back into my stand and had one blow in the distance downwind from me. Climbed on up in the stand and proceeded to enjoy the beauty of the woods with a 2-4 inch covering of snow. I called a few times when I heard some doe bleats that sounded like they were out a ways, nothing. Well about 3pm I catch some movement about 150 yards out, hunter orange on the property next to the one I was hunting. I watched the guy slowly work his way in and he dissappeared behind some thick stuff, after about 15 minutes I figured he must have taken a stand because I never saw him come out the other side, we had acknowledged each other when I first saw him with a simple nod of the head, this made me feel better knowing he knew I was on stand also. He was upwind of me and about 30-40 yards to my right. Well after about 30 minutes here comes a nice young doe all by herself bounding out of some thick stuff 100 yards to my left going left to right, I didn't have a clear shot and figured, oh well she will probably get popped by the other guy, HAH!!! She got directly downwind of him with the thick stuff between them and froze! I had no shot due both to the brush and I knew the guy was in that general direction, but was not sure exactly where. She twirled around and started coming back the way she had come, but quartering in my direction. She was moving at a pretty decent clip, not running though, she stopped once about 60 yards out, but once again due to trees no shot, I picked out a nice opening about 45 yards out I figured she would come through and settled the sights in that direction while I watched her. She bounded about ten yards then slowed down as she approached my shooting lane, just as she entered it and I was getting ready to whistle to stop her, she stopped, perfect broadside shot, I heard the shot and saw her knocked down flat, she did not even kick. I chambered another round and watched for a second to see if she was getting back up. She didn't budge, I put the safety on and eased my way out of the stand and slowly walked over to her. Well when I got up to her, it turned out that she was a he!!!! A little 4 point!!!! Once I made sure he was dead I took a knee beside him and thanked the deer and thanked the Lord for this beautiful creature. Well the guy across the way came over and said he though it was a doe also, he said she got within 20 yards of him but it was to thick for him to shoot and he knew I was in that direction also. Hearing him say that made me feel safe hunting around this guy.

Well after checking him in I headed home, the twins were ecstatic, they wanted to know where its insides were? I explained to them I gutted him in the field. They then asked if they could help me hang him? I told them they could also help skin if they wanted to. Man they were as excited as all get outs! They really enjoyed helping me hang and skin the deer. Man I can not wait until I am helping them dress their first deer.

That was an unlucky little buck, if it had been bucks only he would have never been shot, but it was buck or doe and both me and the other guy thought he was a doe. I have to say I love cor loks, that deer never knew what hit him, I couldn't even tell his lungs were lungs, took them both out, never touched the heart, and only hit ribs, text book double lunger, hit him about an inch behind his shoulder. I was kind of bummed that I had shot this young of a buck, I will post a pic maybe next week if I can get some one to scan it for me. TEENY TINY little rack. He will be some good eating though, the weather is perfect for hanging them right now.

BTW I was wearing that world famous CARDEER NECKLACE!!!! Thanks cardeer.

The Tazman
Old 01-04-2002, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The monkey is off my back!

Well, according to what I just read, you were the last person with a Cardeer necklace that hadn't scored....

..sooo, looks like a full sweep. My hat is off to you Taz....I just knew one of the board members that live in the area that just received snow was gonna get one.

Congrats...

Old 01-04-2002, 05:44 AM

Congrats on the deer Tazman. Sounds like I need to get one of Cardeer's necklaces. It took me two years to get a buck. I wonder if it is too late for me to put my name in to cardeer for one of his necklaces?
Old 01-04-2002, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dan to be honest I would bet cardeer may be able to handle another order, but I think it best you ask him, he is the best! He will be doing the blessing/ceremony this spring for the necklaces and I know he has a bunch of them all ready made.

The Tazman
Old 01-04-2002, 06:28 AM

Well done, Taz
Old 01-04-2002, 06:41 AM

Congrats on the deer Taz. You have given me a some hope for the few days I have remaining this season.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:49 AM

Way to go, Taz! Congrats on the deer. I'm glad that the little ones were excited. It sounds like they are on the track to becoming deer hunters themselves. I'm looking forward to the pictures.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

PAB, I have a necklace and I came up empty this year. I came up empty because I chose NOT to shoot at a couple of deer that I saw. I could've had a small forkhorn like Taz'z or a huge doe. I was just waiting for something bigger that never apperared !!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Nice Job! Enjoy your success, I know you've put in a lot of time. Glad to hear you could get the twins in on some of the action.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:36 AM

Good things come to those who wait. Congralations on the buck Taz, you most certainly deserved it.

Quick Reply: The monkey is off my back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.