Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bait & Switch

Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Bait & Switch

This afternoon I crawled into my buds ground level shooting house on a fire break to get out of the wind...

I've gotten several does so today I was looking for horns...

A BIG doe shows up about 60 yards to my left munching on grass..She gives me several good broadside looks and I'm tempted but hold off..She keeps looking over her shoulder back into the pine trees and I'm hoping papa buck is there..

After several minutes I sense movement on the opposite window and scope the long lane...Nada..

I turn around resolved to go ahead and put the bug girl in the freezer...She's moved across the firebreak and is in some taller grass and is walking out of view so I take the shot. After the smoke cleared, I wait 30 minutes and go to collect her..No deer..
No blood...I head back across the firebreak where I originally saw her and hit the pines. After circling for 45 minutes I find it...

It was a young non button buck of about 70#...This wasn't the deer I'd scoped for 10 min.

Apparently the doe was looking over her shoulder for her fawn, not a buck. When I decided to take her, I'd had my eyes on the other side for a minute and apparently she stepped out of sight and her fawn took her position...I had increased to power on the scope when viewing out the other side and it made the deer in my site look large and I shot the baby, not the mama..I bout puked, but it'll be tastey and mama can have more fawns I guess...
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

As Forest Gump said: "Chit happens!"
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer taste good
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Take it however you can get it! Congratulations
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

The old switcheroo
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Good eating. Deer deserve respect for a quick clean kill, but these are not an endangered species. One button buck is not going to make a large difference in your deer herd. Enjoy the meat and the success, it is going to be really tasty.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks all the same in the skillet!!!!!