Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best time to hunt the beds

Old 09-30-2003, 07:44 AM

Default Best time to hunt the beds

I found a nice bedding area yesterday. When do you think the best time is to hunt this area? and how far away should I be?
Indiana bow season starts this Wednesday....
Old 09-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best time to hunt the beds

In the early part of the season, especially when the bucks are bached up, I would stay a fair distance from the beddding areas. Prefering to set up on travel routes to and from and only hunting them on the absolute perfect wind. Putting pressure on a bedding area at this time of year will move them and may end up being an all or nothing affair. However closer to rut and during I start getting closer and closer to the bucks bedroom and like to employ rattling to entice them out. I will often setup within 100-200 yards of the bedding area and start rattling...in many cases it has drawn a number of bucks out. Also just sitting quietly if you are not much in favour of rattling is a good option on travel routes or funnels. Again the wind will predict the situation, a marginal wind is not going to help your chances, only hunt when it is in your favor.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 AM

I look at bedding areas like I look at turkey hunting. As close as possible without spooking the deer. Take into account wind direction, walking conditions, terrain and such. If you can see the bedding area, they definately can see you. Afterall, that is why they bed there. It only takes one time and it will not be a bedding area any longer. Contrary to my last sentence, I once tried a trick to be able to set up close to a bedding area to have a shot at the most productive trail. Frequently in NJ people startle deer from their places of security. I took advantage of this one time and acted like the farmer to spook the deer from their bedding area. I then raked a path into the trail I wanted to hunt with a leaf rake. I was able to silently get into a good position close to the bedding area and the primary exit trail. It worked.

Greg
Old 09-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg makes an excellent point about if you see the bed they see you and I left that part out. I often setup during rut to rattle on ridge lines that don' t allow me direct line of sight to where I know the bucks bed. In my area where I hunt during rut it is rolling terrain and the bucks bed in the thick timbers below the ridges, thus getting fairly close on a slow methodical approach is easily obtainable. If you hunt areas of large, flat timber bases then your ability to sneak in real tight is comprimised, as he states get as cloase as you can without spooking the game.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2003, 12:25 PM

Some great ideas so far.
Best time to hunt this area AM or PM?

There were about 20 scapes from different size trees and directions, about 6 fresh beds, and alot of deer droppings.
My problem is I' m not sure which way they are traveling, no clear signs. There is a cornfield about 50yds to the North and another about 200yds to the West. Nothing but woods to the South and East. The wind is usually from the West. Hopefully the picture loads so you can see what I mean...

Old 09-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a west wind the east corn field could only be hunted in the PM either the north or south side of the trails.. However the south field with that same wind could be hunted in either on the est side of trails, but you would have to be careful about your approach in the am, with the road to the south...my guess is they may cross the road very close to pre dawn and be in the trees by daybreak. However if they are largely left undisturbed they may hold a while longer. Only way is to try it.

Have you checked trails into each of the corn fields to see which one they may be prefering?

Personally I would constraint on the east field and in the evenings to start, as it appears they have safety right till the field in way of trees. What you may find is bucks lingering on the edge of the trees awaiting sunset to enter the corn to feed. I have had my best luck when hunting food source in the fringe or shadows of the brush connectingcover and food. The only gothca is the does/fawns are sure to be out first and with a west wind your scent is blowing right to them. I would try and pick a trail that bucks use vs does and apply all scent control measures to avoid that nasty wease them does make!

Without being there and seeing it pretty hard to totally visualize what the bet plan of attack would be. That being said I will alway hunt the highest % place where deer have the most safety and just adjust my position based on wind and travel routes, as they may and will change from day to day.

Good luck and hope you connect.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with 7MMSkeeter. I suspect you will find a staging area for the East field. That is where you will be successful. The bucks will hang out or " stage" in a specific area where they are comfortable and have their needs met(a little forage, good view of the field as to check for does, predators, etc., quick escape into cover). Depending on pressure, the bucks will stay there until they feel safe, whether that be before dusk up til after sunset. Being in broken woodlot/farmland, I have found that usually there exists a parallel based trail just inside the treeline when a field is adjacent to the east side. This I feel is due to the East side getting dark sooner(in the evening), allowing for preferable conditions for a deer' s defense mechanisms and earlier feeding opportunity.

Also, Find out when the corn is going to be cut. Your deer activity will more than likely see an increase to that field for the 24-72 hrs after it is cut, as they do not have to work as hard for the corn. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:52 PM

skeeter 7MM and Phade
Thanks for the advice. I think the doe/fawn gotcha got me. Thats all that walked by me today, at only 15yds.
I will try to find a tree, I was hunting out of my ground blind....
Old 10-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

When the women are in it and as close as you can get. Couldn' t help myself