Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

noobie crossbow advice?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I prefer tree stands, but mostly its personal preferance. I can see how hunting together with your son, a blind might be preferable.

As far as what to buy next, the only thing I don't see on the list that I'd consider necessary is a good knife (and learn how to use it (check Youtube for fielddressing videos)). And a rope to drag a doe with or maybe some kind of cart (nice, not necessary).
deer cart is definitely helpful and a must in my opinion...dragging a 120lb or greater deer 50yds is tiring...dragging the same deer 200+yds is exhausting...

also get a couple good comfortable folding chairs for ground blind and some cold weather gear...it doesn't need to be camo in a ground blind and actually black or dark clothes would be better..
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Spike

wtf above post?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fishhuntbreathe
Hi All,
I am new to the hunting realm. My 12year old son has been hounding me for awhile and we bought a crossbow. I would like to get us bows and some rifles down the road But as of now we are trying to get started on a shoe string budget. I live in Northeast GA and plan to hunt some of the WMA'a around here. I have already spent a ton and have nothing. As an angler for 10 years I already know how THAT story goes.
So a couple of starter ?'s

Ground blind or tree stand?

What to buy next?
We have : crossbow; target, dozen 20" arrows, 3 broad heads, camouflage clothes, scent block spray, hunter shampo/soap/deodorant

Thanks In Advance for any replys
Maybe bear spray, just in case, since you might hunt with your little man.

Last edited by Huntsman grid; 10-18-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy some more broad heads which you plan to hunt with and practice with one of them to make sure your xbow is sited in. After finding your spot get a tape measure(rangefinder if you can$) and mark off tree with a different colored string, ribbons or bright eyes at 20 and 30 yds around your perimeter so you know the distances. Also cut some shooting lanes where you expect to shoot. Good luck but remember the thrill is in the hunt and spending time with you kids, but it sounds like you have that handled. ps 40 yds isn't that un reasonable as long as you know your limitations. Ps. a steady rest will help be it store bought or just a long version of a slingshot. Ps. Stop and visit the crossbow forum on this site.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 10-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Spike

Thanks again for all the advice and replies. It is really cool that so many are willing to help.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntsman grid
wtf above post?
see post #6 he said he wants to buy a pop up blind. He should get a deer cart, and some chairs for the blind
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
see post #6 he said he wants to buy a pop up blind. He should get a deer cart, and some chairs for the blind
when he asked what was above post : He was refering to a spam post that has been removed.

Last edited by fishhuntbreathe; 10-21-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are on the right track, and I assume that you already have everything that you NEED. I assume, since you fish some, that you have a knife laying around somewhere. Give it a real good edge, and it'll be fine. You can sit on the ground around a tree, or vegetation, as has been said, and save that money you would've spent on a ground blind. And, yes, a deer cart makes things easier, but I have never used one. If I get tired while hauling a critter out of the woods, I just take a break. No, hauling a big deer out of a holler ain't much fun, but it's definitely worth it.

If there was one thing that I would add to what you have, it would be a bone saw. Being able to cut the breastbone up to the legs, or so, makes field dressing MUCH easier.

The first thing that I would start saving money for would be a good pair of binoculars. Don't buy cheapos...save up for some decent ones.

This is all MY opinion, and you have to decide what you think is best. Do what you think is best, get out there with your son, and have fun! That's what's most important.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishhuntbreathe
when he asked what was above post : He was refering to a spam post that has been removed.
ah I missed that. I thought he didn't understand my post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Spike

Check websites like Craigs List. You can usually pick up cheap hunting equipment on there. I would suggest a 2-man tree stand. Wal-Mart has them cheap. That way you can sit with your son, and not have to worry about the wind as much. I hunt a lot with my 6-year old in our tree stand. I put burlap around it, to help conceal her movements. I hunt with a crossbow, and I love it. You can shoot, and not have to worry about getting busted while drawing-back, like you would with a regular compound.