Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too late to put a cam out?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Spike

Default Too late to put a cam out?

Hi all. I hunt public ground and have never put out a camera because of the fear it would grow legs and walk off. But I just got a camera that was given to me and I no longer have that same fear. Here in IL, the season opens on Oct 1. I'd like to put that camera out this weekend and then retreive it 2 weeks later. That gives another 2 weeks till the start of season. Am I going to ruin the area or is that enough time to let things settle back down?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

You will be fine as long as you are just slipping in and getting out of there
Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will be fine, if you want more consistent data you can come back opening day and retrieve it since you will most likely be there already or more than likely.

Had a camera stolen 2 weeks ago lock and cable cut just sitting on the ground I know how it feels but if I have a trail camera it does me no good to leave it in the garage so its a chance anytime you put one out on public land. Will say I have come across others trail cams and stand and left them alone. May have waved at a few and showed them the white side of the moon a few times but always left them. Why steal from another individual who probably worked his ass off for what he has.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If possible, put it about 10 feet high facing down on a heavily used game trail. The added elevation might keep it out of the line of sight of most people. Also, if you can put it up and take it down right before a rain, it will help wash away some of you scent. I wouldn't worry about spooking any deer, you still have plenty of time to let the area rest.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

its never to late to see whats goin on in the woods. just limit yourself to how much you go in and out. instead of going and checking on it every couple days or a week like you would do in summer leave it as long as possible.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everything posted so far. One more thing, is the public land you hunt heavily used or fairly remote (not much of the latter in Illinois)? Most public land near me is so heavily used by hikers, mushroom pickers, bird watchers, equestrians, and others that I have to believe the whole place stinks like human most of the time anyway. If that's the sort of land you're hunting, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Spike

Thanks to all of you for the input. The area isn't likely used a ton as there are no trails through it that I'm aware of, but there is a river that gets used. Regardless I'll take my chances with the cam and see how it goes. Hopefully will be posting pics of my first deer in a few weeks.

Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Spike

It's never too late to put a camera out, Specially if you live in deer country. And ot live by a deer trail like I do, You can bait early as long as you don't HUNT!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me too says never too late !
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I move mine around all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.