Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you guys do ?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

IMO go hunt whenever you get off however you smell! as stated by a few others if you have a hunny hole you are saving for the rut you may want to stay out of that stand as to not ruin in for when all the stars "wind,day off from work,weather,time of year" do aline and you can hunt it.

Other than saving a stand or two for later in the fall just go hunt. I have friends who preach scent control and have guys who are good hunters but wear the same clothes all year dont wash them rarely shower in the morning but simply get the wind in their favor. The guys who are simply better at playing the wind stand selection ect have way more success than the scent control nuts.

I probably fall somewhere in between I was once one of the preach scent control change in the middle of fields in the pooring rain ect I still will still spray my boots and equipments generally shower but playing the wind is and always will be far more important than how you smell!

Last edited by bghunter777; 08-30-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by indiana deer hunter
I work third shift and get off at 6:30 am when I do I smell like engine oil ! I want to hunt in the mornings as much as possible so these are my questions I don't have time to take a shower when I get to the woods it will be breaking light already so what are the best ways to rid this scent I will however take a shower scent proof before work not sure if that's counter productive ? Also what time do you guys enter the woods do you think I can get away with walking in at first light I usually like being there at least hour before light but can't so what would you guys do ?
While I don't smell like engine oil, I often arrive at daybreak because I'm in ministry and early morning serivices or prayers keep me from getting in earlier.

This is one reason I stillhunt a good deal. I get to the edge of my hunting area, wind in the face or at least quartering, and start creeping through, figuring that the deer are moving generally toward a bedding area and away from food. I have taken several deer this way.

I haven't done it much, but good binoculars would help you. Glass blowdowns, thickets, hillsides, and potential bedding areas carefully looking for deer.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to take a bath, try this. Takes 5 min or less. There is a product used to give a "bed bath" invalids. It is essentiall a very large, thick , disposable "wet wipe". These can be bought at any pharmacy. Keep your hunting clothes in a bag or something. On the way or when you get to the woods, wash off with these and dress.

As far as getting in place an hour +/- before day break? I seldom do. I'd prefer head out so that I will be slipping in right at the very first light. I try to avoid using a flash light any more than necessary. If houwever I am toting in a climber, I get to my spot in time to be sitting still by sunrise.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Try "smoking up" before going into your stand. May help disguise some of your scent. I haven't tried this yet, but I just bought a smoker and am going to try it out this season. From what I have read, people have had good results with it.

www.scentsmoker.com