Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Spike

Default Scouting

I am hopefully going to be doing some scouting this week. I was just wondering what you guys look for when simmer scouting.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

one of the most important things i like to do in the summer is get out with the binoculars and just look up. I like too check out the oak flats and see which trees are carrying the most mast.. Its still a little early for that around here but i dont know what your situation would be up that way.
One other sign that I believe is a pretty easy way to pattern deer for early season is to find a creek and walk the edge lookin for good crossings. Deer will go a good distance out of their way to find an easy creek crossing.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine and I are headed to scout this weekend. Season opens Oct. 15. About all we are looking for this time of year are obvious places whare we might look later for acorn crops, looking for last year's rubs and creek crossings. Will not know much about the acorn crop for a few more months.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I look for "deer highways"/well beaten paths deer use constantly....its a good one if they intersect! Its still good to see tracks everywhere but its better to see a path. If you are on your property its good to clear the path or keep it clear for them...as they will use it more often to and from a food/water source. If you are bow hunting find a good spot 20-30yds away and clear some shooting lanes right now. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I will trim up some frequently used deer paths and get all my shooting lanes cleared out but I wont do any scouting until late August. The deer completely change their habits when the crops start growing.