Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kansas hunter killed

Old 09-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kansas hunter killed

Does anyone have any more info on this story. What I' m getting at is was he climbing his stand or something when this happened? I' ve been hunting for over 20 years and I can say that my gun has never been pointed at my own leg?
Yeah. It' s kinda like the guy who killed himself with a arrow in his thigh. Can' t really imagine it. But, accidents happen in strange ways. Maybe this fellow fell and as he grabbed for his gun, his finger, oh forget it. Haven' t a clue how it could' ve happened.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:48 PM

From what I have gathered, the entry was in the leg and then traveled up into his body. I cannot verify this. That could indicate he was above the ML went it went off, or he had fallen awkardly with the gun ending up lower than his leg.

I was hoping we would have a safe this season. Another hunter in Colorado died when his broadhead lacerated a main artery.

Keep that chamber empty. It is better to lose the chance at a shot, rather than have a drastic unwanted injury or tragedy visited upon oneself.

Practice safety, courtesy and fair chase.

Dana
Old 09-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sad story what happened to the man. Be careful out there guys. I know some hunters that like to have their guns loaded as soon as they are out of there truck. They pull up a loaded gun to their stand. I asked why dont you wait till you get up in your stand to load your gun. They replied, " The gun makes to much noise loading." Yeah i would agree, but it doesnt make that much noise. I like to play it safe.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:10 PM

It is a sad day when we lose a hunter. But, it is sadder sadder still when anti-hunters have the nerve to take a hunters and turn it into a case against us. Personally, I will not take any form of communication into the woods. There is one simple reason for that. I NEVER HUNT ALONE!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

People PLEAAAAAAAASE remember your hunters safety eductation when u go in the woods. Not sure how his accident happened but please NEVER hoist a loaded firearm in or out of a tree. IT takes seconds to unprime a muzzleloader or empty the shells from a rifle and put the safety on and lower it from the tree. No matter how brave or how long youve been hunting ACCIDENTS do happen and like they say an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. You and a hunting buddie can split the cost of aobut 10-15$ and go to wal-mart and get a 2 pack of walkie talkies that could very well save your or your friends life! plus there nice ot have to call a friend to help drag your deer.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:08 PM

We have had a few hunters killed over the years here in South Carolina. The one that I remember most is one I helped to locate. The hunter climbed into his stand and was pulling his 30-06 up with a small rope. A small twig got caught on the trigger and the shot went right through his neck. I guess the safety wasn' t on either. He never showed up at home so his wife called the local DNR. One of the DNR officers is a good friend so he called me to see if I would also help in locating the hunter since I knew the layout of the land well. About 2:30 am we found him. It was certainly a bad / sad scene. It has forever been burned in my mind and reminds me to be extreamly careful. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the Kansas hunter who lost his life. -- CDH