Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preseason scouting how important is it?

Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 PM

Default Preseason scouting how important is it?

I am in the process of putting together a segment for RMOA television show and need your suggestions for " how important is scouting and why?" tell me what you do to prepare a time in the fileld, what do you look for? any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your help!

Dr. Mike
Old 09-23-2003, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Preseason scouting how important is it?

Something is fishy about your questions.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I try to spend as much time in the woods I plan to hunt as I can to observe . I also spend lots of hours online looking at topo and aerial maps to determine routes and funnels . Scouting is very important if the hunter expects any chance of success beyond dumb luck .
Old 09-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I prepare as many stand sites as I can in the post-season, then when pre-season comes around I re-investigate those areas and the ones that are hot I prepare to hunt for the season.

The things I cue in on are tracks, feces, and most importantly rubs and scrapes
Old 09-24-2003, 04:28 PM

Phil3 about covered most of my activities, but one. From my observations, Does and Bucks use their own trails, (except when the rut is in high swing). By finding trails, I try to determine what sex made them. does usually are more heavily traveled, Bucks seem to be in thicker stuff, and may have rubs on them Scrapes usually aren' t on them. Feces can sometimes also be a clue. Sometimes I find small bushes/trees totally trashed on buck trails, telling subs that he' s king of the hill. Of course, seeing the buck clinches it.
Russ
Old 09-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

No kidding, is there something wrong here,your asking rather strange questions.Lets have some proof of who you are.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Just a thought here but your not planning to spoil anyones hunt are you.And if you are take off eh!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Uh, most hunters don' t do any preseason scouting at all. In fact scouting is strongly discouraged because they don' t want to frighten deer. So no use in your entering the woods before hunting season. It is a complete waste of your time.

(To tell the truth, I actually post season scout for the most part.)
Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering about all the questions, too. I assumed that a PETA spy wouldn' t come up with a user name with 338 in it. You never know.....

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge

Quick Reply: Preseason scouting how important is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.