Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

why we hunt deer?

Old 09-22-2003, 08:47 AM

Default why we hunt deer?

ok for my speech class i am giving a speech on why we should hunt deer, i know its fun and stuff but what other reasons do we go out every year and do it? speech is due on wed so guys reply as soon as u can, thanks who_else
Old 09-22-2003, 09:13 AM

Default RE: why we hunt deer?

I hunt becasue, I like being in the woods, watching animals, and the thrill of the hunt. The kill is secondary. Why we should hunt, population control, and passing along traditions from generation to generation. There are many reasons i hunt, but I guess#1 is because I enjoy it more than anything else in the world.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are many reasons that I like to hunt.
I hunt because of my love for the great outdoors, being close to nature, and a love and respect for wildlife. Sitting up twenty feet or so in a climbing stand, I have the best seat in one of the greatest cathederals that God ever created!
The experience that you get from a deer stand cannot be duplicated.
Not on film, not in a zoo, or anywhere else for that matter!
The anti-hunter or the so-called " animal lover" , has no idea of what love and respect for wildlife is! The kill in hunting is nowhere near the greatest part of the hunting experience! Being a part of nature and helping to insure that wildlife will be around for other generations to enjoy, is what hunting is all about!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

What else is there to do?
Old 09-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

This was written by me and published as an editorial in my local paper, it should give you a place to start:

Hunting in Wildlife Refuges and State Parks

This is in rebuttal to a " COMMENT" by Ann Gallahan Rhodes, January 31, 2002. She states, " hunting has no place" “among these peaceful settings." Is the public aware of where the vast majority of the money comes from to establish wildlife refuges in Virginia and the rest of the country? It comes from hunters/fishermen purchasing license and other permits. Hunters/fishermen pushed federal/state governments for these refuges and parks.

The public is unaware of many facts regarding hunting, fishing, wildlife refuges, parks, game laws, and wildlife. I would like the public to better understand what outdoorsmen have done for the wildlife of this country.

Facts about deer. According to Doug Hotten, deer project manager at Maryland Department of Natural Resources there are more deer today than ever. In 1900 the deer population was about 400,000, today the herd is over 27 million. Ms. Rhodes stated, " The deer are besieged, driven by ‘progress’ out of their native homes" ? Land development is actually responsible for creating additional habitats for them.

A deer is an " edge animal" . Deer eat grasses and plants that grow in clearings and the edge of the woods, in addition to mast (acorns/nuts) crops, and fruit. In winter they survive eating grasses, leaves, tree buds, all edge plants. Development has created more deer habitat.

When a development or farm is established, trees are cleared allowing for farming or building. This creates a larger food supply. Because deer are edge animals, by leaving the trees and brush as a border or in un-farmable areas, they create a perfect habitat. Deer have increased in numbers so greatly now they are a nuisance to vehicles, farmers, and homeowner' s.

Ms. Rhodes stated, " it might be more useful to do something about stupid driving than to demonize the deer." Thousands of vehicle vs. deer accidents occur annually. Rarely is a driver charged with anything. These accidents are unavoidable. Driving the speed limit, be it 35 or 55 mph and a deer runs into the path of your vehicle that is not “stupid driving”. That is a tragedy for both deer and the people in the vehicle. According to Esurance an insurance company, over 7,000 motorists are injured and over 100 killed yearly due to accidents involving deer.

She stated " What irony to call a hunting ground a ‘refuge.’" People are unaware these truly are wildlife refuges. Yes, hunting of game in season and with limits is allowed. However, they also provide habitat to numerous non-game species, which are losing their habitat. Outdoorsmen fund and lobby for these refuges.

At the turn of the 19th century federal/state game laws were virtually non-existent. Because of this, numerous species of native animals were either extinct or on the verge of extinction. Hunters/fishermen lobbied the federal/state governments to have laws imposed protecting the environment and animals. This was one of the first times that any group pressed government to protect the environment and wildlife. Hunters/fishermen, not anti-hunting groups accomplished this.

State governments with the guidance of biologists, and hunters/fishermen imposed laws creating the first hunting/fishing seasons and bag limits. When these laws were first enacted many game animals were severely depleted because restrictions and harvest limits did not exist. As a result hunting restrictions were imposed and closely monitored. Thirty-five years ago many counties in Virginia, did not allow deer hunting due to the depleted deer population. However, thanks to hunters/fishermen of Virginia there are more deer in existence than ever. Now every county of Virginia has a deer season except Arlington.

The federal government, assisted by biologists and hunters, passed laws establishing national migratory bird seasons and bag limits. Market hunting, which is hunting of game for resale, not personal consumption, was outlawed and many species of migratory waterfowl became illegal to hunt. These laws were passed due to pressure from hunters, not anti-hunters. Due to these efforts we have more Canada geese then ever. Nearly every species of migratory wild fowl has a healthy population and has proven that it will not experience an ill effect when exposed to a closely monitored hunting season.

Monies financing enforcement of game laws, were self-imposed by hunters/fishermen. Enforcement monies come mainly from three sources. 1) Sales of hunting/fishing license; 2) Self-imposed taxes from hunting/fishing related revenues [federal/state]; 3) Federally mandated duck stamp sales. Fishermen/hunters pay Game Wardens, not taxpayers.

Which President created the first national park? Hint, he is the most famous hunting president. Theodore Roosevelt. Due to pressure from hunters/fishermen, there have been millions of acres throughout the country set aside as parks and wildlife refuges. The monies for their operation and upkeep, is mainly from hunters/fishermen, not anti-hunting groups.

I challenge people to research the history of wildlife conservation and preservation. Dealing strictly with facts, you will find that the hunters/fishermen do more on a yearly basis for wildlife and its habitats than anti-hunting groups have throughout the history of this country.

In closing, after reading Ms. Rhodes " COMMENT" , I was surprised to discover that a very intelligent person could be blind to the fact that if it were not for hunters/fishermen and their conservation efforts, none of us would have the opportunity to experience wildlife and its surrounding habitat. Every person who loves the wildlife of this country owes a debt of gratitude to the sportsmen of this country.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:01 AM

I hunt because I love being outdoors. Watching the woods come alive is incredible in my opinion. I like watching the animals go about their business and not having a clue that I am in their living room. The adreniline rush from deer hunting is one only hunters can relate to. The one-on-one battles with deer are memories that will last a lifetime. I also hunt to pass on a heritage to my kids to appreciate everything the good Lord has given us in the outdoors, and to teach them respect of other living creatures.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why should we Hunt?? Because God created all living things.He gave us rule over all creatures . One of our responsibilites is to manage the animals so they stay healthy and not out of control and starve or get diseased. He made the critters for our consumption. Thats why I hunt ,plus I enjoy it and the outdoors is Gods proof of his existance and my playground. And I eat all I shoot ,heck with that grocery store chemical food. I realize thats alot of God involved.Hope the school lets you say that word GOD.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:28 PM

What kind of speech is it supposed to be? Informative? Persuasive? Entertainment?
Old 09-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Persuasive, thanks guys I know that i will have at least 3-5 mins now, i knew i could count on this forum to tell me why they love deer hunting. even though i have enough information if you would continue to tell why u love deer hunting, it is nice to hear alot about GOD and everything, thanks again, who_else
Old 09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some very personal reasons why I hunt but to use a presuasive argument a few thoughts come to mind..Most non-hunters (not necessarily anti-hunters) have no idea how difficult it is to be a successful deer hunter or how much time and effort (which we love) goes into the entire hunt. It is certainly not simply walking into the deer woods on opening day, waiting an hour or so, seeing a buch of deer and picking the best one to shoot. That couldn' t be further from the truth. Where I hunt here in New England (Maine and NH) a hunter can spend an entire week in the woods from dark ' til dark and not SEE a deer. And these folks are vereran, dedicated hunters. We simply do not have the large deer numbers that other state/province do.
Also, our hunting laws are set my our Fish ad Game Depts and certain rules must be obeyed and respected. We are told when we can hunt and when we cannot, what kind of animal we can shoot, and what kind we cannot. We are told what weapon we can and cannot use and we are told what sex we can and cannot shoot. All of these rules and laws in place for one reason....For the best interest of the deer......not the hunter.

Quick Reply: why we hunt deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.