Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DRY CREAKBED!!

Old 09-21-2003, 07:51 AM
crc

Default DRY CREAKBED!!

I WENT SCOUTING THE OTHER DAY AND SAW A DRY CREEKBED.I HEARD ONCE THAT DEER LOVE TO STAY IN CREEK BEDS?IS IT TRUE?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DRY CREAKBED!!

I don' t believe it to be true. Deer may use a dry creek bed to travel down for a ways, but, most creek beds where I hunt usually have all kinds of deadfalls blocking it around about every bend, so, as far as them using a dry creek bed as a travel corridor, they won' t use them to go far, because deer like the trail with the least resistance. I don' t beleive that they will every bed down in a creek bed either. At least I' ve never seen a deer bed in a creek bed.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DRY CREAKBED!!

Yes and no...Deer don' t necessarily like to STAY in dry creekbeds, but they will likely travel them extensively, depending on the layout of the bed, i.e., if it is hugely wide and open, then it provides no cover and they' ll be hesitant to use it, or if it is too deep with steep banks that wouldn' t allow easy escapes at all points down the line, they will not use it. However, if it seems to be good cover, and easily left, they will likely use it a great deal, look for prints and other sign to verify, but it' s been a long standing knowledge among hunters that deer will travel low land forms to use the terrain as cover during movements. I' ve taken an astounding majority of my deer while they travel low land forms, several of which were in dry creekbeds.

It' s not likely that they' ll travel it if it' s not consistantly dry though, it' s got to be dry all the time year in year out.

Most important thing is to look for sign. It doesn' t matter if it' s the most perfect place in the world for deer, if they aren' t there, they just aren' t there.