Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Score guess?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Score guess?

This one is for the expert Topgun. But anyone is welcome to guess.
What do you think this one scores, I know what it actually scores.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh what the heck, I'll play as it's getting boring this time of year. I'd give it a gross of 190+ and might even break 200" with the overall mass, spread and point number/lengths. That is just looking and making a quick guess and not punching in numbers to add things up. He's a huge and dang nice buck that anybody would drool over to have a chance at, regardless of score! Where was he taken?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Washington state, it scores a 167 net, dont quite make book because of the two little cheater points inside the main beam. Those deductions knock it out of typical book contention and it dont have enough to make it as a non typical either. The one in my avatar is a honest 200, non typical, it actually makes book both as a typical and non typical.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

There ya go, as I would never think that buck scores that low and I'm not saying 167 is low either. Congrats on two nice bucks!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 200 inch buck gross scores like a 230 but it officially measures a 200 1/8 after deductions and the nontypical points are added. It scores like a 177 typical after deductions, there for it makes it both ways. Even a non typical has deductions. You dont have to have a minimum of 25" of non typical points to be scored as a non typical.

Here is some info regaurding scoreing.

There is no set rule that says a white-tailed buck must be scored typical or non-typical. The choice really is up to the hunter and which classification makes the most sense. As I go through the following discussion, it will become obvious how a particular buck should be scored.

First, when scoring deer antlers, all normal and abnormal points are measured. The scores of both typical and non-typical sets of antlers are based off the symmetry (after deductions) of the main frame. Yes, even non-typical bucks get deductions for not having a symmetrical main 8-point, 10-point, 12-point, etc frame with matched points of the same length.

But — since the measurements of all normal and abnormal points are taken, it’s easy to calculate both the typical and non-typical scores. Abnormal points add into the gross score of a buck scored non-typical and are subtracted from the gross score of a buck scored typical. If a set of antlers has many abnormal points, the set is most accurately classified as non-typical and would be best scored as non-typical (but it is not a requirement).

One side of my big buck is obviously typical the other has alot of non typical points.

Typical side.

Non typical side

The original mount

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally dont like the current scoreing system. I think they should use water displacement to measure bone growth. I have seen alot of huge bucks that you would swear were B&C material (and should be) but wasnt and seen just the opposite, bucks that you wouldnt think would make it but do. A non typical should not have deductions!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in 100% agreement on your entire last post and never could understand why you would have deductions if you're scoring a rack as a nontypical. Symetry should not matter and it should be assigned just a gross score IMO.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
doesn't it have to have like 25 inches of non-typical points to be eligable to be scored as a non-typical?
RR
170 is the min for a typical 195 is the min for nontypical if i remember correct.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skinnnner
170 is the min for a typical 195 is the min for nontypical if i remember correct.
yes those are the minimum for entry but what the OP was saying it that if a rack has even 1 inch of nontypical growth and the hunter wants it scored as a nontypical then he has that option. although not the wise choice it is an option
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
yes those are the minimum for entry but what the OP was saying it that if a rack has even 1 inch of nontypical growth and the hunter wants it scored as a nontypical then he has that option. although not the wise choice it is an option
Yes i was just pointing out that the diffrence between 170 and 195 is 25 inches. if a buck has less then 25 inches of nontypical points chances are it would be better scored as a typical unless its a freak with no real typical frame

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.