Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to dress warm?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Spike

Default How to dress warm?

What combo of clothing do you wear to keep warm while hunting in the winter?

Last edited by SevenFields; 12-17-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Underarmour cold gear under wool underwear, under wool pants/shirt. Fleece or wool coat with a wind block layer over that. Bibs, if very cold.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Warm

Start with a technical fabric wicking layer.

Insulating layer like Thermax
Another like wool or a poly-wool combo.

Top layer like a fleece
Another top layer like a Polar-Tech or wool insulated jacket/bib/overall

Wind break or rainproof shell

Works every time, even in sub-zero weather.

How many layers depends on activity and temperature as well as moisture (to a lesser degree).
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

another tip, when you move or going to your stand put as much clothing in a pack.

Might want to check out army surplus for poly thermals a whole lot cheaper the UA and better IMO.

this is the stuff I'm talking about top and bottom $60\

http://www.harrysarmysurplus.net/all...underwear.html

Last edited by Charlie P; 12-18-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for posting the link, Charlie. I will check them out for sure!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

if you don't do a lot of walking check out the mickey mouse boots to.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

all good advice, i too start with some high quality thermals (you can get great deals on the stuff right after new years when stores get rid of leftovers, like dicks). I have an old scentlock layer of pants with a top (looks like fleece but has the charcoal insert), then regular pants and shirt. Neck gaiter, glove inserts with gloves, etc. The real trick is keeping the the face/ears/and feet warm. Also if you have a heavy coat on top of this you got to pack it in on the walk or youll be ringing wet. I try and go with layers so i can peel off or put on as needed.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default One more thing

Don't forget to buy an overall shell that is uninsulated. Hiking in or up will make you sweat (probably). Don't put on any insulating layers if you will sweat walking in or to your stand. Skivvies and the overalls will do, even in frigid weather. Once you get to your stand, pull your layers out and the overalls off. Dress warm once you've stopped sweating.

Stand hunters (as well as other types) don't move too much while on stand. Your layers will keep you warm and help you to not fidgit - a dead giveaway to wary deer.

Doing so will also keep your scent signature lower than if you didn't, another dead giveaway to those wary deer.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I just wear a bunch of warm non camo cheap clothes then I have my expensive browning goretex rain gear on top as my camo then I just hunt blinds
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

And I wear 800 gram thin-sulate rocky boots and wool military gloves and if it is real cold I wear thick mossy oak gloves and if it is to cold for that well that's what hot hands are for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.