Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Farmer spreading cow manure while I'm in sitting in my treestand.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Spike

Question Farmer spreading cow manure while I'm in sitting in my treestand.

Am I wasting my time sitting here watchin the farmer spread cow manure? Anyone's thoughts on this?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

My farmer sees more deer than I do. Deer love tractors. Hell sometimes if I havent seen a deer in a while I will hook my disc up and do a few laps around the field I plan on hunting later that afternoon. A lot of times they will come out as soon as I finish.

I guess they have learned to assiciate tractor noise with food. In the spring the tractor comes and plants seeds and they eat them when they start coming up and at the end of the season combine cuts everything and leaves behind scraps. So they are not only used to the nosie of a tractor but associate it with food.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Normal farm activity no bother. Farmer with a rifle sneaking on foot might make them nervous!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would find that activity aggravating too .... but heh, he is making his family's living on that land and if it is manure spreading time, well it just is. And personally, I'd be thankful that I had permission to hunt his place. Besides it has been my experience that game become accustomed to normal farming activities .... tractors running, combines coming through harvesting ... even poop spreading !
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Be happy he is not spreading pig crap.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have almost killed more coyotes from our tractors growing up than I have on foot!!!!! When we cut or raked hay, cut beans or chopped corn, the yotes were all over the place. Some of them would get so close we almost ran them over getting to mice, rats n rabbits.
We didn't farm near timber to have this experience with deer. As long as you don't stop while they are close, they don't pay you a lick of mind.

Besides, that smell of manure to that farmer is the smell of money!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well if you were the farmer...

you'd be spreading the cow manure, instead of the farmer.

Deer are more use to that scent than your's. In an urban setting, I saw deer not far from a loud leaf blower in an apartment complex. The deer were more use to the sound of leaf blowers, than anyone walking through the woods.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a crappy day of hunting... sorry i couldn't help myself. It might actually help you by masking your human scent!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Spike

Let 'em spread. Covers your scent and like someone mentioned in an earlier post, the deer associate food with tractors. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Spike

Up here in Michigan, I'd rather have a running tractor than a gallon of doe-in-heat juice. Deer get used to the farmers working and it seems to calm them down. Covers my noise and scent, too.