Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you hunt deer with a 16 gauge?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it'll do the trick. Do some shooting with the slugs to figure out where they hit. Then go shoot yourself a deer.
Elmoughler and Muzzy, Does this bolt look familiar?

-Jake
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Sure does!! I need to get mine out and find someone to fix that firing pin. That gun is my favorite, mostly because it was given to me by my grandfather.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by indiana deer hunter
It has plenty of power . Like previously stated stronger then a 20 gauge weaker then a 12. You would want to shoot slugs.
first off it will depend on the slug you chose as to wether it is "stronger" than a 20 gauge.

second if your gun has a full choke it is not advisable to fire slugs out of it(yes there will be people on here that says it is ok but that is because they have never seen a barrels split or blow up) modified is even a very poor chose. preferably cylinder bore but improved will work ok.

any choke constriction causes deformation to the slug and can/will cause them to not fly perfect.the tighter the constriction the more deformation the worse flight. (as a general rule)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Best thing to do is to use try different brands of slugs with different chokes until you find accuracy and don't use a Full choke. I have had guns that shot very well with Modified chokes contrary to what some say. My gun right now shoots best with a Improved cylinder and actually a couple manufacturers recommend Improved cylinder to be out of their guns with rifled slugs.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Spike

Alright here's another dumb question. There's no choke in my barrel, so is it possible that this old single shot Savage would have a built in one? Just don't wanna bust the gun up if that is possible.

I fired it a bit today with some Remington slugs and they felt great. I took a video which I'll try to post later.

I also came very close to a deer. I called in a nice buck, and he was slowly coming in closer..then someone started a chainsaw and he booked it

Also, thanks again for the advice. Everyone on here is very helpful as usual!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaded
Best thing to do is to use try different brands of slugs with different chokes until you find accuracy and don't use a Full choke. I have had guns that shot very well with Modified chokes contrary to what some say. My gun right now shoots best with a Improved cylinder and actually a couple manufacturers recommend Improved cylinder to be out of their guns with rifled slugs.
i never said a gun couldnt shoot very well with a modified but every gun will group slugs best with no constriction.

the reason those manufactures recommend an improved cylinder is because they do not make a cylinder choke(choke that has no constriction) and a simple fix is ordering a choke for your gun with no constriction from a choke maker.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
i never said a gun couldnt shoot very well with a modified but every gun will group slugs best with no constriction.

the reason those manufactures recommend an improved cylinder is because they do not make a cylinder choke(choke that has no constriction) and a simple fix is ordering a choke for your gun with no constriction from a choke maker.
So why then wouldn't a manufacture recommend a skeet choke then? They do make and sell them and they are less constricted than an Improved Cylinder. Also, you cannot possibly say that all guns will group slugs best with no constriction. I have had guns that grouped better with modified then with more open chokes with different ammo. The "rifling" on a rifled/foster slug allows it to be safely swaged down when being fired through a choke. So while less constriction may be what produces better groups usually, that statement cannot be made for all guns at all times across the board.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Josh93
Alright here's another dumb question. There's no choke in my barrel, so is it possible that this old single shot Savage would have a built in one? Just don't wanna bust the gun up if that is possible.

I fired it a bit today with some Remington slugs and they felt great. I took a video which I'll try to post later.

I also came very close to a deer. I called in a nice buck, and he was slowly coming in closer..then someone started a chainsaw and he booked it

Also, thanks again for the advice. Everyone on here is very helpful as usual!
How did the slugs shoot? You say they felt great but you never mentioned how accurate it shot them. It has a fixed choke, I don't know which one. Does the barrel say anything on it?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
Sure does!! I need to get mine out and find someone to fix that firing pin. That gun is my favorite, mostly because it was given to me by my grandfather.
You may be able to find a bolt assymbly cheaper than fixing the firing pin on yours.

A 16 ga is very sufficient for deer hunting, I have used a 20ga. many times and had no prob.

Good hunting!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Spike

killed my first deer with a browning A5 20 gauge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.