Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mock scrapes

Old 09-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mock scrapes

I think I am going to try ,and make some mock scrapes, when is the time to make mock scrapes? I havent seen any real scrapes. Always I am alittle scared to make them, I believe it may scare the deer away.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: mock scrapes

Pre rut is probably the best time to make a mock scrape in my opinion. Once the rut is in full swing the bucks are out chasing does, and there are usually plenty of doe to go around if you know what I mean although they will scrape during this time.

One interesting study I saw on scrapes might surprise you and help you to not waste money on commercial scents.....

The study put out multiple scrapes with 4 different scents on them. Cameras were set up to study the activity at all the scrapes and the findings will shock you.

In all the scrapes the 4 scents that were used were

Buck Urine
Doe Urine
Human Urine
New Car Smell

thats right, you read that right, now the findings.....

The scrapes that contained the Buck Urine and the Human Urine were visited the most and with equal consistancy....

The scrapes that contained Doe Urine were visited less and believe it or not, the scapes with the New Car Smell were visited as often as the ones containing doe urine...

What' s that all mean....

Doe Urines are a waste of money and if I were to ever buy scents again, I' ll use Buck Urine scents in mock scrapes...if I ever do.

I did have one success prior to this study I saw.....I made a mock scrape on a Mon. morn....with Tinks 69....on Wed. when I went back to hunt it, a buck ran in and stuck his nose in it from down wind as I stood at my tree attaching my climber....had I been up, I would have successfully taken that buck on that mock scrape.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have not found any scapes yet, it is probably because they are not being made yet. best to wait until you have located some. just putting a mock scrape on the ground does not mean it will attrack the deer. hell, i have seen a lot of mock scrapes in my days, normally with a cig butt in them.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wait till you start seeing them ,then if you have a female in your family,wait till that time of month and take her urine and put it on the scrape. Just try it on one scrape and just see the difference between that one and the others.And it is free.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh yea, i can see that now. " honey, wake up, i need a sample, i am going bowhunting today"
Old 09-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used buck fever syntheitcs in a few mock scrapes last year. Worked pretty darn well. Out of the 5 I made 3 were tore up within 3 days of making them, the other two took a few weeks to catch on but ended up being used later in the pre rut. When you do make them be very scent free conscious. One screw up and the mock scrape is ruined. I also used the BF gland to spray above the scrape to imitate a licking branch and pre orbital glands being rubbed in the branches overhanging the scrape. Give it a try, I recommend it.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM

I have had mixed experiences. Personally I have had good success lately thanks to the buck fever meathod. Deer will have non-sexual scent communications at certian places all year long. By using the buck fever " pre/post rut formula" I have had deer overmarking my mock scrapes for over a month now and the rut wont hit till around November!!! They are hitting 4 of the 5 mock scrapes that I made. And not just little signs....They are tearing it up for some reason. Using the entire buck fever meathod has so far gave me results. I mean, my scrapes could go dry today, but still yet, they have hit my scrapes and therefore I' m a believer! I cant wait till the rut hits so I can try out thier " rut formula" !!!

On the other hand, a buddy of mine that hunts the same 330acre lot put out 2 scrapes using the same formula on the other side of the hollow. He went back to check them, and they weren' t even touched. I just dont understand how I saw results, but he didnt. I am in a spot that I have hunted for 2 or 3 years, and he is in a brand new location, I would think that the deer would respond better in a location that had never been hunted....I guess only time will tell!

Regardless of the hunting tactics you choose to use, its all in the skill, and alittle luck that you carry with you!! Good luck guys however you choose to bag your trophy!!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey dont MOCK it if you have not tried it,LOL My wife always had success hunting when it was that time of month.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 PM

hey rackassasin does that product have a website??

Quick Reply: mock scrapes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.