Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

Old 09-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

If that fawn is a button buck I will go out of my way to take that doe.
If I dont she will run that buck off. If I do that buck is probably going to be come resident. If she has doe fawns with her I probably wont to save my doe tag for the other situation.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another factor in my decision to shoot a doe is the fact that in MD you have to harvest 2 does before you can take a second buck. Since it' s hard to find a dry doe around here, I try to find the biggest ones available.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had a doe hit next to my house last year in august and her two fawns never left my backyard for the next month. they were small too. one died and the other one is now a four pointer that still comes to my backyard. the four pointer still beds under the tree that is next to my house every winter. i cant see him b/c the tree is actually right next to my house and his body is up agaist my house. that one survived no problem.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

No doubt about it. I will also shoot a doe fawn. In NY where I hunt we can get two does permits and if you fill them they issue you 2 more tags that are either sex tags meaning that you can take does with these tags and get more doe tags or you can take two more bucks with them. If you keep taking does you can keep gettting bonus permits but once you take a buck with a bonus tag you can not get another.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Spike

Thats funny, I just asked myself this same question. Bow season opened in Georgia on Saturday, and I have seen many fawns on the roadside that still carried their spots. I would not kill the doe, I just dont think its right. I assume that technically these fawns could fend for them selves or the DNR wouldnt open season so early, but it would be heart breaking.

Last season my dad shot a doe that had a yearling with her (no spots on this one)... that yearling would not leave the mothers side and just hung around waiting for his mother to get up. He finally ran off when my dad approached.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

I would shoot a doe with a yearling in a heartbeat. However, I will not shoot a doe with a fawn.

By definition a yearling is last years fawns. Less than 2 yrs but older than 1 yr = yearling. Less than a year old = Fawn.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:07 AM

As Deon would say...Both.

Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 AM

I' d tag her as long as there fawn has no spots or looks as though it can tend for itself.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:20 AM

I like this.... A yes orno question???? I Like this...

Answer to your question... NO A thousand times NO [:-][:-]

Good Luck & Happy Hunting
Old 09-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

last archery i could of nailed this doe on a few occassions, but i didn' t because she had a yearling....i' m sorry , if that youngin' doesn' t have spots i' m taking the mother...i almost went meatless, friend of mine had to shoot me a doe...i totally made the wrong decision, but it did my heart good to watch them...i don' t regret it, i just learned from it....meat first, then i can be too ethical

Quick Reply: Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.