Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

Sounds like another topic like the points thing. Up here a yearling is 1.5 years old, what most of you are calling a yearling is a fawn born that spring. Also the doe keeps the fawn with her the first winter and sends it packing b4 she drops the next fawn in the spring.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:08 PM

I dont think it makes a difference to the yearlings survival by the time deer season arrives, my understanding that come breeding season the does will run her offspring off, bucks first, so she can breed. But no, I cant kill a doe with a yearling, its that darn bambi movie
Old 09-11-2003, 12:08 AM

hear where i hunt in michigan the fawn are never very small and they make it on there own so i take the doe but if i se a fawn with spots still on them i will pass it up
Old 09-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' ll probably get slammed for this, but here goes. IF the deer has lost his spots and especially if it' s a little later in season, I' ll take her. She' ll be running him off when the rut kicks in anyway.
I won' t slam you, that is how I feel also, I won' t shoot a fawn though, even if it has lost its spots.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot them both. We are allowed two per day.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely........I will and have let the fawn walk by and then shoot the mature doe. And if truth be known, I did it twice last season. First one I let the female fawn walk past then I shot the mature doe. A week later, I let a button buck walk by me and then shot the mature doe. None of them I have seen have spots in October, god help us if they do.

They can make it on their own, otherwise I believe that some regulations would have been adopted to prohibit against it. those little buggers do just fine, I' ve seen them all season long and then during the winter, they learn quick, mother nature is a good teacher.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I didn' t shoot does with fawns I' d never shoot a doe. They can live, it isn' t a big deal shooting the mom. In PA we actually have an early ML season where we are supposed to take out does before the rut comes in.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have no reservations of shooting a doe if there is a fawn with her...ok, maybe a little if the fawn has spots...but I would still probably take the shot.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it depends on what I feel like doing that day. If I' m hunting for a mature buck only...then I' ll let them walk. If I want meat that day...then you bet, I' m shooting. We have so many does where I hunt, they need to be thinned out. I have no reservations about shooting does with fawns, sometimes I' ll shoot both. No button bucks though.

I read one time...a biologist said that in areas with overpopulation, the right doe to shoot is the one that stands still long enough to give you a clean shot. I agree
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the time season rolls around, I think the general concensus is that the yearling should be alright on it' s own. Take her
I agree....I won' t shoot a doe that has a yearling with spots though.

Quick Reply: Will you shoot a doe with a yearling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.