Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold weather clothing

Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cold weather clothing

Key to warmth is layers(NO COTTON) and appropriate foods. Also to ensure you are warm you must keep your feet, hands,neck and head warm. Don' t forget about an outer layer of wind and water protection if required. Make sure you lay off the caffine as that will cause you to void quicker than H20 and lose body heat. Hot cup of soup or hot water are excellent to take for a hot splash through out the day. If your in a stand or a blind & need more, then a good sleeping bag will keep you toasty warm. Remeber to dress down till you get into your stand, getting all bundled up and sweating defeats the purpose of layers and you' ll start off cold.

Here if you don' t wear layers your cold, because while it can be seasonably warm during daylight, most mornings are frosty and evenings very cool. Wear light and pack heavy is my motto.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:37 AM

Well I' m not from Canada, but as close as you can get and still be in the U.S. Dressing in layers can' t be stressed enough, it is essential for cold weather hunting. I use a layer of polypro as my base layer (moisture-wicking), then duofold underwear, then a layer of fleece and finally my outer layer of wool. No synthetic fabrics can match wool for it' s ability to keep you warm even when wet.

You say your main problem is cold feet. My feet stay cold due to circulation problems. I wear a thin pair of moisture wicking socks under thick wool socks, inside of a well-fitting boot with 600 grams or more of thinsulate. Well-fitting means a nice snug fit (try on the boots with thick socks before buying), but not so tight as to restrict circualtion. When the weather drops well below zero, and if I will be stand hunting, I like to use a pair of insoles that include a compartment to hold the Hothands type footwarmers. I bring a few extras along since I hunt all day.

In the past I had two pairs of boots, one for stand hunting and one for tracking and still-hunting. My warmer pair were Lacrosse Icekings (if I remember right) rated to -100 F. My feet never got cold in those, but they were quite awkward and heavy, making it hard to sneak into the woods quietly.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Ok Kristen ,
I' ll take a look . The name mislead me , should have known better .
Old 09-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s a little tip for you.....if you take two disposable handwarmers and put them over your kidneys you' ll stay warm for a long time. I don' t know why, but it works. I think I read that or saw it somewhere and decided to try it....it really does work and with a little inginuity you can make a belt or velcro packs to hole the hand warmers in place.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Jason N is correct,
the German Army issued wool lined kidney warmer belts to their troops in WW2 when they sent them to Russia . It works because your kidneys filter all of your blood , so warming them warms the blood . Putting a heater on the back of your neck will have a similar effect , though not as effective .

Kristen ,
try strapping a pair behind your knees with Ace bandages to warm your legs and feet .
Old 09-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Kristen ,
I took a look at the suit at the TSS Equipment site , and it struck me as being little more than a sleeping bag with legs . It also looked more than a little cumbersome for still hunting since you had to unzip it to use your weapon , and where would your heat go when it' s unzipped ? Straight up . I' d also hate to be a tree stand bowhunter wearing it . With or without the belt you still have to unzip and get to your bow without falling while wearing a cumbersome garment . That' s a lot of movement when you' re trying to hide from a whitetail .

I' ve seen plenty of coveralls and sleeping bags with Super Thinsulate rated to below zero , and most of them cost far less than $300 . I believe I' ll stick with Ballistictip' s sleeping bag idea . Get it if you think it will work for you . FYI: The MOPP suits I wear force me to leave the woods when it gets over 50 degrees due to their insulating qualities , now if I can just conquer those cold feet ...
Old 09-10-2003, 02:43 PM

Hi Kristen. I' ve tried the " Heater Body suit" . I didn' t buy it myself, 1 of the guys in my camp who HATES the cold bought it and he tagged out before I did last year. It doesn' t have any batteries or wires or anything .. it is HUGE though, like a sleeping bag, and it had back pack straps. The suit had legs and extra insulation around the feet, and it didn' t have any arms just zipped up like a sleeping bag. If you hunt from a tree stand you better have a bow hook as you' re a mummy and need to unzip it and slide it down before you can grab anything. The zipper was on the inside and was quiet to open which surprised me.

They are not kidding .. you WILL NOT get cold. In fact I found I didn' t need it zipped up at all and I was toasty. I took my buddies advice and under dressed for the walk in and I could have been in shorts and a tshirt and been comfortable. My biggest problem that day was staying awake I was so warm and comfortable.

The negatives .. it' s HUGE. If you take the time to roll it up tight before the walk in it' s not to bad. But on the way out .. just like carrying a sleeping bag over your shoulder. If a deer were to surprise you .. very possible because you are probably napping in warm bliss ... it isn' t the quickest thing to slowly unzip and slide out of for a shot.

On a real cold day it' s awesome. In fact I blew it by raving about it and then lost it for the next day.

A cheaper alternative which would probably work just as well is what we used to do in the Marines and use our sleeping bags. The feet in the suit are nice and toasty though.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:07 PM

Welcome aboard, Kristen.
I' m from Northern MS. Walnut area, in fact. Some of the guys that hunt in our area use those foot booties, combined with down coveralls. They think that the booties do the most good. I usually layer when hunting, don' t have the booties, just a pair of insulated pacs, (the Mickey Mouse type). I have the most trouble with my hands. I agree with you about the wet cold. Lived in Northern ILL for 40+ years and I get as cold here as I did there. I go through a bunch of hot Hands each season.
Russ
Old 09-10-2003, 07:55 PM

I just dress in layers, sometimes I think that I look like the dough boy,[&:] but it works for me. If you wear surgical gloves under your normal ones, it will keep your hands good and hot.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Kristen,
I hunt in Arkansas, so we' re neighbors. I know what kind of cold you' re talking about (although I cant say we' ve had a really cold season here in the last few years). But when we do get a front coming down from up north it can get DANG cold and its made all the worse by us not being conditioned for it (let one of those northern Yankees come down here in August and see if they can make it through a two-a-day football practice like our boys do, then they' ll understand what cold is like for us). Here' s my advice....the price you have to pay for really good cold weather boots and gloves is worth every penny. I keep a pair in the truck at all times in case we get a cold snap. If you can keep your feet and hands comfortable and dress in layers everywhere else you should be fine...if you can make it until 10 AM or so you should be in good shape...usually warms up pretty good after that most days.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Cold weather clothing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.