Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sound like a good idea?

Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default sound like a good idea?

i bought a 15ft ladder stand.....just a basic ladder stand nothing fancy......enough to get me in the air.....it weighs 46 lbs and i go back pretty far sometimes....i been thinking of ways to get it in and out easy and quietly....quietness is a big key.....i thought about wheels and when i bag a deer it will double as a game cart but i seen a guys and it was noise and would only work on wide open trails like he was on....so i thought about breaking it down into the 3 sections plus the 1 stabalizing bar finding the balance point and drillling through all 3 sections and the stabalizing bar and running a bolt with a wingnut or something easy to remove when i get there...put a bolt on each side of the ladder so it holds it securely and i can back pack it or put it on my shoulder and just take it easy and give myself more walking time....i think it would keep it all together and nice and quiet and be simple to undo....sure 46lbs is a bit heavy to cary but youll have that if you want to hunt from a stand......does the bolt idea sound good? any other ideas you guys got? the keys are quietness and easy to carry over rugged terrain.....thanx.....
Old 09-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sound like a good idea?

1. Why not just buy a climber, much more simpler?
2. Drilling holes is probably not a good idea, you could weaken the material and have it collapse.
3. I' d try some sort of bungie cord to hold it, and possibley glue some material on the contact points to reduce noise.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you need a climbing stand to me too!
If that is not an option, you could cut it into sections. If the legs are square tubing or pipe, just get a piece of similar stock that is one size larger in diameter than the legs are now and make some collars. You could bolt the collars permanently on one section, and use pins or bolts with wing nuts to put the thing together. These collars should make up for any weakening that you would be doing by drilling the bolt holes. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

never thought about it getting weak.....putting it together and taking it apart is not the problem.....it comes right apart into 3 sections of ladder and goes back....but transporting it in them 3 sections will clang and shift and such and be a hassle and make alot of noise that i really cant have....its hard for me to sneak in without getting busted...i dont need a stand jingling all the way....maybe i can rig up some bungee cords tight enough...a climber does make alot of sense but im " supposed" to be saving for my car or truck or whatever and really wanted a stand this year..i know there are cheap climbers but i dont like being uncomfortable so i will wait until i have money to spend to buy a good climber....the ladder was really cheap but it will be comfortable....just heavy and hard to carry in and out.....thats what im working on now...ill try the bungee cords instead of drilling it and climbing to the top only to sit there and have it crumble and i fall and get hurt or die.....thanx.....
Old 09-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sound like a good idea. I think I' ve seen something similar before. You wheel the stand into the woods, and it acts as a deer cart on the way back.

Give it a try!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 PM

I do this all the time. It' s not exactly a genius idea, but you have to have something to tie the stand into the tree with, right? Well, you get a strap with a winching attachment on it for the tree-connector. Then that doubles as the thing that holds your stand together while it' s in three pieces. Put the pieces together just like you' re describing with the bolt plan, but instead of drilling through them, strap them together with the strap, then winch it tight. If you do it tight enough, it won' t budge an inch, and you can throw it over your shoulder with ease.

Those 15-foot ladders are just about the only thing I use.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Had that trouble with a climber. bought some foam pipe insulation. the kind with the slit in it that you can fit around the pipe. make sure it stays on with a little duct tape in a couple of sections. cuts down on the noise. if you are in a climbing stand it helps provide padding for bow, gunc etc.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you going to try and transport a ladder stand in and out of the woods and set it up every time you go hunting? I would have gone for the climber also if that is your plan.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:23 PM

Wall mart has some decent climbers made by API under a different label that run around $95.00. That shouldn' t hurt your savings too much. They are good climbers too. I like ladder stands but when I put it up it stays there. Too cumbersome and noisy to be portable. Or get a hang on stand. Those portable blinds work well too.