Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Old 08-28-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Hunters, I am looking for anyone who would care to share a close encounter with getting shot at while hunting. Were you on a deer drive? Did you drop your rifle? Someone shoot at a deer with not knowing you were on the other side of the deer.

Example, a friend of mine was posted and sat on the ground while waiting for some animals,he heard the first shot and stood up, the second shot from the 12 gauge ripped into his upper thigh, he nearly bled to death and lost his leg, this is a question we want to use on a televison segment on " safety in the woods" any help you can provide may save lives in the field, thanks so much, send to:

[email protected]

Dr. Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

well i wasn' t me but a good hunting buddy of mine almost got shot. we were archery deer hunting in arizona and when the sun came up the ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS started shooting off their guns and it sounded like a war zone. he was still hunting and a bullet went whizzing past his head. [:@][:@]

this past weekend i went out on the opening weekend of archery deer again and they were there again only in a different area.[:@]

maybe you could DIRECT some of this STUPIDITY towards the ANTI' S and get them to think before they pull the trigger.

better yet remind them that it IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY A FIREARM DURING AN ARCHERY SEASON. EVEN IF THEY AREN' T HUNTING[:@]

Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I was bowhunting one year and while I was crossing a field some guys took a shot at me,this was bow season in a bow only area.So that is proof you are never safe when stupid people are around.The first shot hit the ground ten feet away and the second felt like it just missed.When I caught up to the guys that took the shots they were white as ghosts when they found out I was not a deer.It turned out they were the nephews of the farmer who' s land I was hunting on,I had permission of course.I told them that they just about killed me and they said oops.Needless to say I don' t hunt there anymore.Now I wear blaze orange when crossing fields during archery season too.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, mine happened during turkey season.called this guy in and he saw our deeks and put his gun up...we whistled, but he didnt see us.....finally had to yell......whistling is good but a firm HEY needs to be done too...........

and them anti' s. ......what about harrassment..i know we have laws against it her.................
Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back in the early 70' s I was huntng a narrow strip of woods about 150 yards wide that was a funnel from one large area of woods to another. I heard trucks stopping and doors closing as these so called hunters posted up 15 yards into the woods along the road parrelel to the woods I was in. I heard the dogs coming in the distance and saw a reall nice buck coming my way in a big hurry, just as I raised my gun these idiots along the road started to unload, I rolled over the log I had been sitting on and layed on the ground, I could hear buck shot ripping through the branches near me and the buck actually jumped right over me! They must have fired 30-40 shots and never hit him. They leased both of the large areas of woods but not the narrow strip I was in, I guess these dirt bags thought it was okay to hunt there because they owned the other 2 sides!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting with a friend and while on my stand I heard the shot and then I heard the lead shot fly by. I was lucky the shot was to my direct right and I had a tree on my side because the shot hit the tree. At my hunt club things are so " set up" and organized that I feel very safe.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lady hunter hunting close to me took a shot at what she thought was a deer ,not being sure just saw movement in the brush . She killed her only son . It really strikes you hard when you are right there and know the people envolved .
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing, when a high powered rifle is fired in your direction, you will hear the lead go by first and then you will hear the report of the rifle. I had an uncle shoot at a deer and he didn' t know that I was just over a small rise from the deer. I heard the bullet go over head first and then I heard the report of the rifle. He actually fired three times at the deer, but the third bullet hit the deer, the other two went directly over my head.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:36 PM

I recall this accident getting some newsplay a while back. Having only been exposed to the high-level details I' m reluctant to judge, but my gut feeling is that he got off easy. Shooting at movement, sound, towards a road, without identifying his target sure sounds like negligent homicide.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wisconsin jury: Hunting death an accident
By Matt Bean, Court TV

(Court TV) — A Wisconsin hunter was found not guilty of homicide for the shooting death of his neighbor in Dec. 2001, a jury decided Friday.

Michael Berseth collapsed in tears soon after the decision was read aloud by the Chippewa County judge. He clasped his hands in disbelief, staring intently at jurors as they each confirmed their decision.

The jury of seven men and five women deliberated about two and a half hours before discarding a charge of second-degree reckless homicide and a lesser included charge of negligent homicide.

A conviction on the more serious charge could have sent Berseth to prison for 15 years.

Berseth, 44, was hunting with two friends on the afternoon of the killing, the last day of the special " muzzle loading" season. He had already shot at a deer when he heard a rustling and saw a flash of white moving through the woods.

Taking the white spot for a deer' s tail, Berseth took aim and fired his rifle, he told investigators. But it was Prasnicki' s white scarf, not the hindquarters of a deer, that Berseth saw.

Prasnicki, 47, had spent the afternoon wrapping Christmas presents and was taking her two dogs for a walk when Berseth' s shot hit her. Attempts to revive her at the scene failed.

Prosecutors called 16 witnesses over two days to argue that Berseth, who lived half a mile from the accident site, knew the area well. They argued that he was familiar with the road that Prasnicki was on, and was " reckless" in shooting in that direction.

Prosecutor Rachel Anderson urged jurors in her closing argument to " set your emotions aside... If he had identified his target, he would not be here today."

" Ladies and gentlemen, when you' re hunting with a firearm, you must be sure of your target," she said.

Berseth' s defense attorney, Richard Wachowski, called the killing an " honest, tragic mistake."

" There' s no question that Deborah Prasnicki died as a result of a gunshot from Mike Berseth," said the lawyer. " The question here is to determine whether or not that mistake was criminal."
Old 08-29-2003, 09:49 PM

About 15 years ago I was turkey hunting and working a bird close to the fence bordering our farm, I didnt know that another hunter was on the other side of the fence calling to the same bird. The bird walked between us and by some coincidence we were all in a perfect line. The other hunter shot at the bird and missed, the bird came directly at me and he fired again. Luckily he was about 75 yards away and I had on thick clothes. I kept my head and shoulders behind my tree and only had a few pellets hit me in the leg and thigh, no serious injuries, but it still hurt like hell. That scared me pretty bad and he felt awful and apologized repeatedly, turns out he was a friend of the family, I was really lucky.

Quick Reply: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.