Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

southern illinois deer hunting

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default southern illinois deer hunting

I have recently acquired a lease in St. Clair county and I would like to know what to expect in trophy potential and bow
hunting. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Depends on where in St. Clair County your lease is, but the southern and eastern portions are fairly typical of Illinois. Wooded creek bottoms and most everything else that can be plowed and planted is in cropland. Some nice Bucks are taken in St. Clair County.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

My question would be, whyinhell would you take a lease without knowing what to expect?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

Thanks for your help. I have done this before with leasing and it worked out with a 145 inch pope and young whitetail. I am from the southeast and can't just run up there and look at every farm that is offered to me. I look at aerials and topos and do a little research. Good luck hunting.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

is realli a question,good luck man
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe You can pull up some statistics of Deer Harvesting in that County to get an idea of the different Bucks taken there....if there's any amount of Farm Land/Crops it's probably going to be a good area for some nice Deer!