Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buy a 30-30 or stick with the .44 mag

Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

The 30-30 is a high powered rifle, the 44mag is a pistol cartridge shot from a rifle.
I have a Ruger 44mag rifle and can tell you it will not shoot good groups with all ammo. I hand load my ammo and found a load the gun shoots consistently well (2.5” @ 100y).

If the gun is clean and all hardware tight then I would look to finding the ammo that the gun shoots good groups with.

Both calibers will drop a deer dead if placed in the chest <100yards.

Last edited by Major Woods; 01-18-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Either or? I own both and wouldn't part with either one. Both rifles have a place in my cabinet. I find the .44 very usefull to me in brush country and I can use the same cartridge in my S&W revolver. The 30.30 will reach out a little further as well as work in brush.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Spike

ok, i too have both , my 30-30 marlin will reach out alittle farther than my 44 ruger. but as far as being acurate i get 1" or less groups @ 100 yards with factory ammo. @ 100 yards +/- i'll use my 30-30 ,anything under i like to use my 44 . i hunt here in florida where the brush is pretty heavy for one you normally don't get the option of a shot longer than 20-40 yards and most is swamp where tracking is difficult so with the 44 the animal isn't going very far if at all ,plus you have a chance at taking a hog of 300lbs plus you really don't want to do that with a 30-30 but with the 44 most tracking is under 20 yards if i don't knock em down right where they stand .

=
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Spike

I own a Ruger 96 chambered in .44 Mag, and I wouldn't part with it for the world. I love that gun. And I would not hesitate at squeezing the trigger on a deer @ 100 yards with it. I will be honest and tell you that it is not a "minute of angle" gun @ 100 yds though ( at least not for me it isn't) But I can usually keep it around the 2" mark at 100 yards so I'm happy with it. I also own many 30-30's and I like them all as well. Some I like a little more than the others, but I still like them. I love my savage 99 chambered in 30-30. And anything out to 150 yds. I am comfortable shooting at. I know some guys say 180-200 yards, but for me, I am comfortable with 150 yards and probably would not hesitate at a deer standing 160 yards if thats what my rangefinder said. Both rounds will effectively kill deer (EASILY) if inside their effective ranges. It is up to the shooter to do his/her part behind the trigger or else it's track soup no matter what gun you are holding in your hands.