Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

During the firearm season ..how do you prefer to hunt?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default What I used to do...

back in the day I would "still hunt" in inclement weather. I don't like being in the woods with guns (not against it, it's my issue), so I'm tagged out before firearm. But back in the day, I waited for rain and wind, the deer seem to know the woods aren't full of hunters and they tend to relax, creeped up on many either bedded or feeding. The wind covers any noise and movement, rains drops your scent quicker. Ya have to be dedicated though, it can be a tough hunt, but successful one.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

still huntings a rush, but I do most from a stand. Kind of hard to still hunt when the grounds frozen although I was as good as it gets once, but I was crawling the whole way till I got to a stand. Crawled up in it and kill the deer that wasn't a hundred yards out and never knew I was there. Till it was light I didn't know it was there either. That was a good hunt. At every chance I was telling myself what a big waste of time it was. 5 degrees outside and the ground was like broken glass.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Still hunt mostly.............and then sit some when I find a area I think looks promising.

I do set-up (on the ground) if scouting proves it's worth it.

Haven't gotten in a tree or an elevated box blind (or ground blind) in years.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer to stand hunt. Where I hunt it typically is so noisy in the later season it makes more sense to ambush the deer from above than to walk around.

Being in a stand vs a guy still hunting this year netted me the old 6 pt I shot. He jumped it, and missed it. Fifteen minutes later it trotted right to me and died.

Waiting in a place that is between bedding areas and food paid off. Two bucks died by my hand as they escaped from other hunters that jumped them got nothing in the past two years. I followed the tracks of my buck last year back to where he had been feeding on someone's illegal corn pile and found where he had been spooked out of.

Some years it can be quiet, and the guys who still hunt can have an advantage. The last two years stand hunters had the advantage with it being so loud to move around.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt tree stand or ground blind. I only still hunt going in or out to my stand or blind if day light.