Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

brown its down??

Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I do a little of both. Sometimes I'm just out to kill a deer. Usually early season bow I will wait for an 8 point or better. Once gun season hits I'll wait the first few days, then if it's legal it's getting it.
-Jake
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=WNYhunter;3899092]So i was reading another thread about letting a deer walk and someone responded his buddys camp killing a bunch of deer.

so that got me thinking. I don't hunt the brown and down theory. Where I hunt we have AR in place and take a limited amount of does. And it is fun, alot of guys, everyone sees deer and a few get shots. We have a big party and it is fun.

But every year I stop at my buddys camp, 7-9 guys. A rec room, poker table deer hung in the garage ect. ect. So this year 1 guy said something about never killing nice bucks.

My reply, I miss killing deer. This ar thing is fun and all but man sometimes I just miss the days of killing deer. Those guys had killed 8 deer the first 1 1/2 days and where cleaning them when I got there.

next year, I will do the same thing i have been doing. pass on the little guys and try to put 2 in the freezer. Mabey I didn't write this the best but I bet you guys know what I mean.[/quote

I'm the guy you mentioned about my buddy's camp. I did fail to mention one thing that I really didn't like to here. In my post about that group, the guy I mentioned that shot 8 deer owns the property they hunt on. It was 2 or 3 years ago when my buddy told me that the same guy was in his house midday during the deer season when he looked out his window and saw 2 fawns in his garden behind the house. He grabbed his gun, snuck out the front door and crawled to the back side of the house and shot both fawns while laying on his stomach. My buddy thought it was hilarious. To me that's not hunting, it's just plain murder. Some of you may disagree with me, but was he hunting? I don't think so. As far as I'm concerned, he's no hunter.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Spike

Technically you cannot "murder" a deer, only a fellow human. But was it a senseless killing? Maybe. Did he eat the meat? If so, then its harvesting. If not, then he should not be allowed a game license or carry a firearm, IMO.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
I guess I've killed enough big bucks, I don't get real excited about antlers anymore. I'd just as soon shoot a smaller buck, the drag out is easier and the meat usually is better quality.

I'm getting fussier about pulling the trigger on does. I used to buy into the QDMA idea about killing lots of does, but some of the spots that I've had seem to be over-harvested, I'm seeing less deer in general than in previous years.

Assuming no overkill of does, would you rather shoot a small buck, or a doe?

I feel like so many hunters just want to say "yea I got a buck" like yea I'm the man!

It's almost a joke now with my cousin, he's like, "yea I shot a big one, or a nice one, or a 3.5yo...which is always a 2.5yo btw..."

he recently wounded a "monster" which I wish he would have killed so I could've seen it, I have a feeling it was closer to 150" than 180"

Personally I would feel worse shooting a dink buck than a doe.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hey Uncle nickey

I see you are from Pa. I also can see the "Quality Management" of does killing the overall herd. Down the road all these big rack crazy people are going to pay. Nobody knows what impact this run-away management will have in the long run. I have seen for years now where shot out areas have stayed that way. Deer do not just "Spill over" into other areas. A young buck may go find his own area, but where a doe is born and raised it stays. I also believe that genetic traits are partly from the doe. That is a crazy idea isn't it? We (Hunters) were urged to kill as many big doe as we could so the herd would "balance out". Unless I look around where I live (Almost in Bucks County) I don't see big deer anymore. The only way AR works is on private property. I did let a small doe walk up in the mountains this year. I usually don't shoot a small one unless I can not tell it is a fawn. Other than that, I shoot as many deer as we use and any buck that is legal. I am getting old and don't care. I am tired of the Game Commission sticking it to us. One guy said to me "When there are no more deer I guess I will stop hunting deer. There are no more pheasants either". I could not agree more.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Even as a kid I wanted to shoot the biggest buck in the world.
And that's probably one of the best one-liners I've heard in awhile. LOL!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
I harvest or pass depending on what I've seen or not seen that particular year.

I let my boy whack what he wants. He scored a button on the Semior/youth weekend with my Pop and had the opportunity to take a doe on a few other days but passed. He said "I don't want to shoot a doe , we haven't seen that many this year."
sfury I agree with you. We have been on our lease for 7 years the first few years we allowed our kids to shot their first buck, so we were very linient in terms of size. 4 years ago the kids all had their first buck. And NOW we are starting to see some nicer bucks around.

it aint no joke let em walk and they will grow.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Assuming no overkill of does, would you rather shoot a small buck, or a doe?
In that scenario, I'd rather kill a doe, they're usually fatter & taste better.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I see you are from Pa. I also can see the "Quality Management" of does killing the overall herd. Down the road all these big rack crazy people are going to pay.
Sad to say, but, the Game Commisssion keeps telling us that this is the plan. I was excited at first to see the bigger racked bucks, but as the years go by and I see the impact of blasting all the does, I just keep asking myself if the "experts" really have a clue as to what they are doing...