Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting in corn fields

Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default hunting in corn fields

OK i got two questions here.
1.) has anyone had any luck sneaking up on deer bedding down in a cornfield? my buddy says he has a lot of luck when it is windy and wet he says if you are slow and quite you can get into bow range. have any of you guys done this ?
2.) where i hunt there is a grass path about 15 yards wide that goes right threw the middle of the corn field but it dose not go all the way to the ends it stops and starts about 20 yards inside the corn. what do you guys think about posting up in that grass strip? has any of you hunted in a spot like this?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Spike

My uncle sneaks up on deer in the corn. He has taken them with gun and bow. 2 years ago he snuck up on a doe with his bow and she was only 2 rows away.

You need a windy day and you need to make sure you stalk upwind so they dont smell you.

I read an interesting artical about stalking deer in corn. You slowing walk row by row poking you head out and look down the row and look low if they are bedding, if it is clear you go to the next row. Once you get to the end of the walk down 20-30 years and start back through the field again.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted them in corn rows, before it's been cut. You can look down rows for 'em, and in my experience, they're quite oblivious even if you're very close.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Spike

I think i am going to have to try this. there is only a couple fields still standing in my area i bet they are loaded with deer. i have read a few articals online about how to do this and it sounds pretty fun. Patman75 you are exactly right that is how the articals i have read said to do it.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it quite a bit around here since I like to bowhunt from the ground and we have a lot more corn then trees.I prefer to locate smaller pieces of ground to hunt, foodplots are awesome for this but bigger chunks work to, it just sometimes feels like your never gonna find the other end of them and you wind up rushing more.The cleaner the field is the better, large weed patches and stuff suck cuz you just cant shoot through them and you cant sneak through them to get into bow range.And some of the guys around here are using planters now that put the corn rows much closer together, these fields suck because you just cant see very far in them and they are very noisy to move through.

I like a windy day, very windy actually and its even better if everything slightly wet it really covers your noise.The problem with it is your generally shooting at bedded deer, depending on how thier laying its very difficult to judge exactly where thier vitals are.Sometimes the deer lay with part of thier body in ne row and part of it in another also, it happens fast when it works so make sure you know what end of the deer your shooting at.Sounds dumb I know but when theyre laying down and balled up its hard to tell with a quick glance.

Its pretty much what the artical says, walk and peek down the next row, just poke your head through at first then step into it if its clear.If thiers a deer in it I usually backtrack a couple rows then walk down untill I feel Im close enough and cut back through the rows.Here you can do one of a couple things usually, if the deers facing away from you just draw and step into the row and shoot.If its facing you you can either wait and see if the deer gets up to stretch or grab a bite to eat or you can try to step or crawl into the row and hope the deer gives you a few seconds to shoot before it bolts.They actually do most of the time, they dont expect people to be out there i guesse cuz they always seem confused.

Havent read the artical but I am sure it doesnt tell you this is a low odds way to kill deer, theres a lot that can and will go wrong and most of the time you will either spook the deer out, shoot a cornstalk, or not see anything at all.But when it works its a blast and you really dont seem to have to worry about chasing the deer off the property because they never seem to leave the corn, theyll just go around you and be on thier way for the most part.